Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #51
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

357 GP 100 6 in with a couple of ratshot added
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #52
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

XD .40 or a .357 mutt, cobra barrel, security six lower end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #53
txchuck
Eight Point

One big advantage with a revolver is that you can load a couple of cylinders with shot shells if you want.
txchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #54
RJH1
Ten Point

I guess the hogs are just less vicious where I'm at, they tend to run away so I don't generally carry a pistol when hunting. Oddly enough it's about the only time I don't carry a pistol or other gun.

But I guess if you're real worried about pigs, I would buy something like a Glock 19, or a different gun that's about the size of a Glock 19 that you like better like an m&p or XDM, etc , and then you have a good carry gun so you can go take your CHL class, or not nowadays, I forgot we have constitutional carry, and then you can carry a gun for when you might actually need it. Good luck
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 08:19 AM   #55
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
XD .40 or a .357 mutt, cobra barrel, security six lower end

X2 xd 40 underwood 155 xtp
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #56
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada
Default Bowhunting Sidearm

I always carry. We don’t have hogs. We have 2 footed animals and a bear. Bears can be hell on feeders, lol. Thankfully, he likes the neighbors more than ours

bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #57
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Just curious, has anyone here actually been attacked by an unwounded hog unprovoked? I'm sure it has happened, but I know an awful lot of hunters, and I've never heard of it happening. Friend of a friend of a friend doesn't count.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #58
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Just curious, has anyone here actually been attacked by an unwounded hog unprovoked? I'm sure it has happened, but I know an awful lot of hunters, and I've never heard of it happening. Friend of a friend of a friend doesn't count.
Heck yeah!

One member had a friend that was being attacked by a Wild Russian boar hog. Almost made her dead… but luckily her dad taught her how to shoot under pressure and she made a 300 yard shot off hand… in the dark I believe and killed the mighty beast! But then she died… but then she lived again, so it all worked out
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #59
Smart
Spike

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

Unwounded? Never here.....

Wounded? ....yes. My Dad and I were chased buy a wounded pig.... and Fishndude has a good story or two. The heavy **** I have tracked in the past few years including some in the dark, I'm not going in alone (or with an army) looking for a hopefully dead pig without a pistol. A grunt or two and the sound of multiple footsteps is a little unnerving in the new moon dark..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #60
Shut Em Down
Four Point

Drop leg Ruger GP100 .357 6"
Shut Em Down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #61
SETXHUNT0902
Six Point

Hunt In: SETX

glock 40 in 10mm is what I carry to the stand.

And yes i've had multiple encounters/standoffs in the dark with big boar hogs and its a little unnerving lol. We have lots of hogs here in ETX and they sometimes are on the corn pile as I am walking in, or coming to it as im walking out. And they are not afraid of my super bright headlight I use. They will walk right towards it everytime.
SETXHUNT0902 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #62
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
I haven’t unless they were in a pen. Even in a pen you have to wonder when a 175 lb. boar charges if the panel is gonna hold !

OTOH, my son was charged last year by a boar that was hanging with a sow that he had shot. On the same lease year before last his buddy shot and killed a hog, walked down to the feeder with no gun and the other boar came out of the woods and flipped him azz over teakettle and rooted him around a little before running away (and dragging his sack across said buddy’s face)

The closest I’ve come is a five minute standoff on a trail leading to my stand. I saw him in the dark at about thirty yards standing there, probably trying to make out what I was. I continued on flashlight in one hand, .40 caliber Shield in the other. I did baby steps until about ten to twelve yards and then he just kinda melted into the brush. Once he got into the brush I couldn’t see him, but I could hear him and smell him. I don’t mind telling you the hackles were up on my neck and I’m sure his were too. A little Browning flashlight and a .40 caliber seemed woefully inadequate if I had needed them. I eased on down the trail and got in my stand but I spent a few minutes thinking about the nephew of a friend that nearly bled out after a boar hog cut him right next to his anus. He drove himself to the hospital and was completely blood soaked from the hips down. It doesn’t happen very often at all but it does happen.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #63
Big Red 82
Ten Point

Unless the laws have changed make sure you have a conceal carry during bow only season. I carry my ruger redhawk 44 mag.
Big Red 82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #64
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I grew up in the East Texas woods and I have hunted them for 60+years... Never have had a situation but one time while squirrel hunting with my Model 100 .308 on my back and a big ol' boar came charging at me while I was in a thick Palmetto flat... I killed him with that .308 and it scared me to death. However on reflection, I'm pretty sure the hog was running FROM my dad who was a couple hundred yards away in the same Palmetto flat and NOT running AT me... I just happened to be in his escape path...

In southern Liberty County over the past 15+ years, I've walked right by many hogs in the dark and had them come by me... on more than one occasion, I've kicked at 'em, though don't think I ever made contact... There are enough wild hogs in the woods now that if they were viscous and prone to attack humans, we'd have multiple injuries/deaths a week in East Texas... "Wild Boars" attacking people is almost as big a hoax in East Texas as BigFoot! Now a wounded hog or an old sow with pigs that you threaten, that's a whole other ball game!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #65
Jay in Texas
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Uvalde, Kinney, and Bandera Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
A G20 in a kenai chest holster loaded down with 220 gr hard cast solids should put you at ease……or you could borrow low fences’ unused nunchucks.
That is a wonderful holster, by the way. I carry my FNX-45 Tactical in one of those Kenai chest holsters when backpacking; I did an entire trek through Big Bend with it, with a 70 lb pack, and the holster was comfortable, durable, and unobtrusive. For a large gun, it worked very well, and I was pretty pleased.

I carry my typical sidearm in a fanny pack when I'm not backpacking - it's more comfortable to me than a holster on my belt.

Unfortunately, we have had to carry firearms for personnel protection at one of the ranches on which I hunt, south of Highway 90. The migrant traffic is heavy and unfortunately not always friendly. So, the sidearm question for hunting is certainly coming up more and more among folks I interact with in South Texas.
Jay in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top