"Cheap" Chainsaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Cheap" Chainsaws

I have a STIHL MS290 that has been great for well over 10 years now. Problem #1 it's at the deer lease 2.5 hours away and #2 its dang heavy for small chores. Thinking about picking up the smallest STIHL or ECHO model, both look to be about $200. Are any of the Ryobi, Craftsman etc saws worth buying? 14-16" bar for small limbs and underbrush etc.

I just had all my power tools stolen and had to have a saw in a hurry so bought a Stihl MS170 w/16" bar for $179 at my authorized Stihl dealer and couldn't be happier.

For everyday big jobs it wouldn't work but for us weekend warriors I couldn't be happier.

Hope that helps

Comment

I say no on Ryobi. My BIL had one and it was junk.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
        I say no on Ryobi. My BIL had one and it was junk.
        And are craftsmans

Comment

Originally posted by texasbbq View Post
          I just had all my power tools stolen and had to have a saw in a hurry so bought a Stihl MS170 w/16" bar for $179 at my authorized Stihl dealer and couldn't be happier.

For everyday big jobs it wouldn't work but for us weekend warriors I couldn't be happier.

Hope that helps
          This saw is great for a weekender . . Service is a must for dealers to be able to sell Stihl . .

Comment

I have the Stihl 181C, runs like a champ as long as it gets plenty of exercise. I quit using pump gas and started using the ethanol free pre-mix in a can. It's expensive but so is my time when my saw doesn't work. Good luck!

Comment

I have some Craftsman saws, ok chainsaw!
              Note we have a locally owned Sears outlet and I would rather die then support TSC next door to him
              Stihl dealership isn’t close to me
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-04-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I have the Stihl MS-150 saw and have been very happy with it. It is lite weight and you can run it all day. I also have a MS-271 farm boss, but only use it for large cutting.

Comment

Get the MS170 or if your invested in Milwaukee or any other platform check out the battery powered saws. I was skeptical but tried out my buddies Milwaukee and was blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't overlook ECHO for what you are doing. They make an excellent saw for what you are looking for. For heavy duty work, Stihl prolly the way to go, but for smaller grade stuff, ECHO is making a great product. AND they typically start on first pull.

BUT, I have a Stihl MS250 that I use for deer lease and small duty stuff, but still large enough to do what i want without being oversized. But my pole saw and weedeater are ECHO and they are great. If I bought another saw it would probably be an ECHO, but don't see the Stihl failing me any time soon.
                    Last edited by HNT ETX; 02-04-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

My dad has a small Echo chainsaw and I love using it...it starts on the first pull just about every time I use it. If I were going to buy a small chainsaw, I'd buy the Echo. It starts easier than any Stihl I've owned (I've owned a Farm Boss and a MS250) and is really light...basically a great chainsaw.

Comment

Check out the Greenworks electric chainsaw. Light, handy, and much more chainsaw than you think it will be. I have one and also their polesaw. Both are great saws.

Comment

I would just look for a used stihl or echo. I pick them up all the time for around $100 - $150 and they usually just need hoses, string or plug. Most of them have just been used once and stored.

Comment

I have a Jonsered. They’re made by Husqvarna. It’s a great saw. A little bigger than what I need, but I don’t mind have a little extra power if I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a small echo cs-310 with a 14 inch bar that is a workhorse. Light enough to work the whole day and not get exhausted.

Comment

Working...
                              X