Sous Vide Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Elk

Pulled some elk backstrap from freezer and allowed to get to room temp.
    Salt, pepper, garlic powder.
    Vacuum seal.
    Place in water bath 134° for 2 hrs.
    Remove, pat dry.
    Sear in HOT cast iron, 1 min on each side, basting with garlic/thyme butter.
    Enjoy. Wife said it was better than filet mignon.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

That looks dam good. How I do my nilgai loins also

Comment

I fixed some venison backstrap using my sous vide immersion cooker on Sunday night. 122° for two hours. Pulled it out, patted it dry, seasoned it with a coffee rub before a quick sear in a screaming hot cast iron skillet.

The texture and temperature (med-rare) turned out great. The coffee rub was okay. Not sure the coffee added much to the flavor of the meat and the whole thing needed more salt.

Overall, though…pretty dang good.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
        I fixed some venison backstrap using my sous vide immersion cooker on Sunday night. 122° for two hours. Pulled it out, patted it dry, seasoned it with a coffee rub before a quick sear in a screaming hot cast iron skillet.

The texture and temperature (med-rare) turned out great. The coffee rub was okay. Not sure the coffee added much to the flavor of the meat and the whole thing needed more salt.

I've wanted to try and coffee rub.. maybe try in before sealing?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

I do a coffee rub on mine as well. I use an espresso grind (Illy brand) that's nearly powder. Doesn't quite taste like coffee but it's darn good with salt, pepper and garlic powder. It's not cheap but It's also what i drink on the weekends.

That looks gooooood.

Comment

Looks good, I'm going to have to try this

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Will try using espresso grind next time as well as adding the rub prior to sealing.

Someone posted something earlier suggesting that adding coffee to the rub mix gives the meat a subtle caramel flavor (rather than a coffee flavor). That’s what I was going for and did not get.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                X