Redwolf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redwolf?

Got this guy on camera in Angelina County and a buddy said it looks like a Red Wolf. I had never heard of them but it sure looks similar to pictures on google. Anyone have any experience/knowledge on them? Night time pic is what I’d definitely consider to be a coyote on the same camera for some reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are extinct according to TPWD. They will tell you it’s a coyote

Comment

look like it

Comment

My guess would be coydog

Comment

I remember in the late 60's the experts said that black bears were extinct in SE Texas...until one was ran over on the newly completed I-45 south of Conroe.

Comment

The wildlife biologist for Angelina County will say coyote...as they did mine.

There are still about 220 left in captivity...not full extinct just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              They are extinct according to TPWD. They will tell you it’s a coyote
              because it is a coyote

Comment

They discovered that the coyotes on Galveston have red wolf dna.

Comment

Interesting. That would be a cool mount though!

Comment

Originally posted by JRL View Post
                    They discovered that the coyotes on Galveston have red wolf dna.
                    Here is a link to the recent story. The one in this link looks almost identical to the one posted here.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                      I remember in the late 60's the experts said that black bears were extinct in SE Texas...until one was ran over on the newly completed I-45 south of Conroe.
                      I had a friend who grew up around Broadus that told me about that. He was a motor grader operator and was working on some park roads around Sam Rayburn. His Dad was running the rollers for him. One morning his Dad had to go number two and when he came back he said there had been a bear in the woods. Of course he caught hell about that, then about a month later the bear got hit on I 45. My friend said it had a Louisiana tag in its ear.

Comment

When I was about 15, there were at least three of them not more than a mile and a half from where I live now. That was 60 years ago, but there were no coyotes in this country at that time. I know some of you younger guys don’t remember when there were no coyotes, no deer, and best of all, no frickin’ hogs !

Comment

I have seen a couple that looked like that in Houston County. I shot one about 30 years ago that weighed about 70 lbs and was chasing a doe when I shot it. I have seen a lot of coyotes over the years, but never one that was as big as the one I shot. From what I read back at that time, they believed that they were a cross between a wolf and a coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                            because it is a coyote

Ummm yes that’s why. Sorry. I guess I should have spelled it out in crayon.

Comment

Red Wolf Recovery Program Canis rufus Taxon: Mammal Range: Eastern North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                              X