Coyotes and rattlesnakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyotes and rattlesnakes

How heavy to yotes predate rattlesnakes? I know they'll kill them but curious how much. This is on an island camp where there's not much to eat except scrap that washes up from the surf or bay, and birds.

The question comes up because I blasted one last night that's gotten a little too comfortable coming close to camp, spur of the moment thinking of not wanting him around with the dogs always loose and such. Rattlesnakes would be far more of a danger honestly, to both people and dogs, so now I'm wondering if I should let them pass in the future if they're rooting up rattlers from time to time.

I don't think it's real common no. Badgers will kill rattlesnakes.

Comment

I know roadrunners, bobcats, blue indigos, are all hell on rattlers. I saw a video last week of a gray fox giving a rattler hell, never thought of a fox killing rattlers, but they seem to think they are more cat than dog. Coyotes, I have never heard of them killing rattlers or thought about them doing so, but they probably do, they will eat just about anything.

Comment

Hmmm, the Google says they do but if it's rare maybe I did the right thing protecting camp. I got a Lab out here that bays hogs, last thing I need is her tearing off trying to bay a yote. Never seen a roadrunner out her or an Indigo, but saw the biggest Tom bobcat in my life (didn't shoot just watched) and quite a few speckled king snakes.

Comment

I believe hogs keep the snake population in check also, but who wants to give hogs a pass.

Comment

Coyotes may not eat a lot of rattlers but they will eat a lot of the same stuff rattlesnakes would which will keep the snake population down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably like most dogs. Sometimes after being bit a dog will become a snake killer. Other dogs will learn to avoid after being bit

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                I believe hogs keep the snake population in check also, but who wants to give hogs a pass.
                They don't matter out here, they root up the island but there's no crops or fences or anything to worry about so we blast them in the spring when it's cold out and they don't put the hurt in our ice so much. Cleanest best hogs I've ever had, not a single flea seen in almost 7 years out here, might have a handful of ticks but they're stuck in place so don't bother me while I'm cleaning them.

Comment

I think they probably occasionally get one killed. But coyotes are pretty clever. I think most things know that sound means a problem is near. Badgers are pretty dumb,bobcats are dumb,hogs...too tough to care if they get bit. I can see young coyotes being inquisitive enough to mess with a rattlesnake but it probably never ends up being a complete victory in any case. I bet it's a painful lesson on getting groceries.

Comment

The coyotes are eating the same rats and rabbits the snakes are

Comment

Being on or around cattle ranches my whole life, I've seen enough half eaten calves to never give a coyote a pass. I suppose that goes for fawns too.

Comment

I have seen a coyote kill a rattler out in the big Bend. Right in the middle of one of the many dirt roads. We stopped and watched in amazement. the coyote would take the snake in its mouth and jump real high and fling the snake up in the air. When it hit the ground he did it all over again, and again and again.
                        finally the snake was dead. Really was something to watch.

Comment

Hogs are good about eating rattlesnakes but often times where you have a lot of hogs the rattlesnakes quit rattling. I just about got nailed by rattlesnake that wouldn't rattle in Blanco

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                            I have seen a coyote kill a rattler out in the big Bend. Right in the middle of one of the many dirt roads. We stopped and watched in amazement. the coyote would take the snake in its mouth and jump real high and fling the snake up in the air. When it hit the ground he did it all over again, and again and again.
                            finally the snake was dead. Really was something to watch.
                            That's pretty cool! Did it eat the snake or just kill it territorially?

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                            Hogs are good about eating rattlesnakes but often times where you have a lot of hogs the rattlesnakes quit rattling. I just about got nailed by rattlesnake that wouldn't rattle in Blanco
                            Hmmmm, we do have lots of hogs out here. I can't say that I've ever heard one rattle out here on the island, killed probably close to 100 over 6-7 years, got 8 in one weekend 2 of which were in the garage and 1 was in my buddy's boat. I've killed several that don't physically have rattles, instead they have kind of a wadded up matt of black bands. I dunno if it's environmental maybe they're not shedding their skin properly or if they're mutating to not bother with the rattles.

Comment

[QUOTE=justletmein;16400060]That's pretty cool! Did it eat the snake or just kill it territorially?

After the kill we spooked the coyote and he left the snake in the road. We cut the rattler off and noticed the coyote did not go far, just into the bushes, and we tossed him his hard claimed meal. disclaimer- we did not see him actually eat the snake.

Comment

Working...
                              X