Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-03-2022, 07:49 PM   #251
Redfeathers
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Bump
Redfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 08:24 PM   #252
Planner
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy wonder View Post
If the rate increases are common knowledge, wouldnít that already be ďbaked inĒ to stock prices? Iím certainly a novice on the market and really have no idea.

Yes, this is how efficient markets respond to information. With the speed and efficiency of the transmission of information, prices are reflected with all known information relatively quickly. By the time your barber is giving you Ďa heads upí, itís already reflected in the market price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Planner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #253
IkemanTX
Ten Point

The DOW is back down below 32,000 today.

Iíll echo what I said earlier, I will put everything back into a market index fund if this will drop to 26,000 or 27,000. (aside from one small account where I play with individual stocks).

I doubt they will let it drop that far with all the manipulation they have been doing the past few years, though. If it doesnít get a decent ways into the 20kís, I will have to pay a lot more attention to when I think things are turning around.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2022, 09:45 AM   #254
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

yep. Portfolio was looking worse the other day and now my financial tool has gone away. Found another one and moved some things around according to their recommendations. Guess we'll see if it works now.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2022, 09:47 AM   #255
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

There are lots of ways to skin a cat. I got tired of the market swings due to the actions of irrational people. Cashed out six or seven years ago and bought rent houses. I'm retired so I need cash flow. That part is working great. On paper, we've seen some great gains recently. My kids should be happy when I croak.
60 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #256
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
There are lots of ways to skin a cat. I got tired of the market swings due to the actions of irrational people. Cashed out six or seven years ago and bought rent houses. I'm retired so I need cash flow. That part is working great. On paper, we've seen some great gains recently. My kids should be happy when I croak.

I would LOVE to be able to transition our retirements into real estate at some point. In fact, I am specifically planning to change employers (or perhaps go self employed) at some point so I can roll my current accounts into a 401K that allows fully self directed investing just for that reason. My current employer is pretty restrictive as to what we can invest in.
It would be perfect if I could get it moved shortly before the next big correction (which I assume will happen in the next 10-15 years), so I could get out of the market at reasonably good prices, and then get into real estate on its dip shortly after.

Either way, 15 years from now I want to be in a heavier cash flow position than a market one.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #257
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Today is one of those days you just don't look at the market. Tomorrow it's liable to be up 1,000 points when all the people who sold buy back in at lower prices.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 12:36 PM   #258
Walker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Today is one of those days you just don't look at the market. Tomorrow it's liable to be up 1,000 points when all the people who sold buy back in at lower prices.
Don't hold your breath. Nothing has changed.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 12:43 PM   #259
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Today was not the bottom. No capitulation.

They may rally hard again (I hope they do). Then I'll start buying PUTS back.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #260
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Fed current rate target is 1.5% and will likely rise to 4% by next year. Mortgage rates (currently at 5.75%) will be 7% to 8% and it is obvious the inflation is not "transitory" in the slightest. I agree there is a ways to go before we hit bottom. Earnings forecasts from public companies are dropping and no longer isolated to big Tech stocks. Buckle up boys and girls!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #261
Walker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Fed current rate target is 1.5% and will likely rise to 4% by next year. Mortgage rates (currently at 5.75%) will be 7% to 8% and it is obvious the inflation is not "transitory" in the slightest. I agree there is a ways to go before we hit bottom. Earnings forecasts from public companies are dropping and no longer isolated to big Tech stocks. Buckle up boys and girls!
And all that spells RECESSION
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 02:30 PM   #262
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post

We are still only down 17% since the 52 week high, so I would be prepared to see it keep going downÖ

Iím hoping to buy back in when the Dow gets down to around 26,000. We will see if I am patient enough.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:30 PM   #263
7sdad
Ten Point

We received a little money a few months ago and are just setting on it waiting. It's not making anything but it's not loosing anything either.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #264
EastTexasTiger
Six Point

EastTexasTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #265
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Horrible few days for the markets… anyone think we might be near bottom territory?? Are we in store for an additional 10 % drop overall??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 02:51 PM   #266
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

No bottom until FED pivots. I'm 80% sure they won't this time. At least not until Sept/Oct.
But by then it will be too late.

It's all a gamble at this point.

But one things for sure...A lot of money is gone out of markets and won't come back until inflation is under control. That can't happen if FED pivots.

May be time to "pay the piper". Been saying since 2008 it will happen once FED is out of magic tricks. This may be it...
Old 06-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #267
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
No bottom until FED pivots. I'm 80% sure they won't this time. At least not until Sept/Oct.
But by then it will be too late.

It's all a gamble at this point.

But one things for sure...A lot of money is gone out of markets and won't come back until inflation is under control. That can't happen if FED pivots.

May be time to "pay the piper". Been saying since 2008 it will happen once FED is out of magic tricks. This may be it...
I think it will be years before these losses are gained back. Going to be a stagnant few years.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #268
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Stocks tumbling out of the blocks again today.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:46 AM   #269
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Horrible few days for the marketsÖ anyone think we might be near bottom territory?? Are we in store for an additional 10 % drop overall??
I think another 15-20%.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #270
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Mertzon , presidio , tiviolie

Quote:
I am trying not to look till after 4:30
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #271
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Brown View Post
I think another 15-20%.
So S&P 500 under 3000? Wow, that is going to hurt a lot of folks.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #272
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
So S&P 500 under 3000? Wow, that is going to hurt a lot of folks.
My wild guess is that's how far they try and take it..Capitulation day that ends this downtrend.

But that won't happen for 1-5 months from now. They need to weaken all longs. Slowly make everyone that swore they would hold through this entire mess doubt themselves until they cave...= capitulation.

Plus far too many "buy the dip" people still around.

Another way to look at it is this... THE day/week you look at markets and say.. No way in hades I'm buying into this market! That's when you're close to bottom. If you can actually just hit the buy button we are not near bottom.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:07 PM   #273
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Default Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
My wild guess is that's how far they try and take it..Capitulation day that ends this downtrend.

But that won't happen for 1-5 months from now. They need to weaken all longs. Slowly make everyone that swore they would hold through this entire mess doubt themselves until they cave...= capitulation.

Plus far too many "buy the dip" people still around.

Another way to look at it is this... THE day/week you look at markets and say.. No way in hades I'm buying into this market! That's when you're close to bottom. If you can actually just hit the buy button we are not near bottom.

Iím looking for as low a number on that market as I can, since Iím already out of it.
I wouldnít mind the DOW in the mid 20ís
For a little bit there (on the rise) I didnít think it was going to get down to may ultimate target of 25,000-26,000, but I think it is inevitable at this point.
Iím holding out for 26 now or some long sustained gains. I may miss the bottom because of it, but that is life.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 06-16-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #274
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Sabine National Forest

Well, it got into the 20s for a little bit, still more to go down. Like I said, 25k by Nov. Hopefully, 19k, but I'll take 25k as that has been my prediction since Jan. When we stomp the libtards in Nov, the stock market will increase. I'm buying back in come mid October. I've been playing the puts game with Gme and adding to my account.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #275
ww1984
Four Point

I went to cash equivalents in my 401K about 3 months ago. I put 20% back into the markets for every 10% drop in the indices from all time highs.
ww1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #276
WRasco
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX NM & CO but open to suggestions

Quote:
Could not take it any longer, I pulled mine out of the market and put it in bonds.
Not much return but it is no longer dropping.
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #277
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

You do not lose money until you sell. I do not know your situation, but you played the game the market wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRasco View Post
Could not take it any longer, I pulled mine out of the market and put it in bonds.
Not much return but it is no longer dropping.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #278
nocam7
Spike

Sp500 if valued by the books is 2800. I'm holding until it hits 3500.

Many good stocks have been sold off. Sp500 has too many unprofitable companies.

Oil will continue it's run and associated companies will earn well. Look at the supply side.
The USA will be bailing out EU with LNG shipments. Look at those tanker companies. They make money and offer a dividend.

Pipeline and oil service companies do look great for the continued well expansion.

The bigger concern we should watch is what the fed is doing and what our offshore treasuries are doing. I'm not sure if everyone knows yet but we are going to be stagflationary. Think about the 70s what did well then. History is repeating.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
nocam7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #279
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
You do not lose money until you sell. I do not know your situation, but you played the game the market wants.
Now, you sound like one of those investment advisors. If the market goes down, you will lose money, sold or not. You don't 'realize' that loss but you still lose.

Example: we both have 100k in an account. Market drops 25 percent. I sell for 75k, you stay in. Three months later, the market is at 50 percent. My account is worth 75k and yours is at 50k. I jump back in and I get 50 percent more stock for the come back than you have. Who lost?
Old 06-29-2022, 05:55 PM   #280
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Time the market, I wish you the best. History shows time and time again, market will rebound.

And your example is if you again sell, just like I stated.

Cost average buy, market prays on people just like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
Now, you sound like one of those investment advisors. If the market goes down, you will lose money, sold or not. You don't 'realize' that loss but you still lose.

Example: we both have 100k in an account. Market drops 25 percent. I sell for 75k, you stay in. Three months later, the market is at 50 percent. My account is worth 75k and yours is at 50k. I jump back in and I get 50 percent more stock for the come back than you have. Who lost?
Old 06-29-2022, 05:58 PM   #281
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I am using free cash to buy dividend stocks, particularly SBLK and GOGL. These are ocean freight companies that pay great dividends. When the market goes up, they have really gone up. When they peaked I sold them. When the market drops, they drop and I buy back in. I've done this several times. I'm buying in on dips now. When the market improves, they will increase 30% asap. Plus, I will get a dividend in the next 60 days of 15-20%.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 06:03 PM   #282
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Time the market, I wish you the best. History shows time and time again, market will rebound.

And your example is if you again sell, just like I stated.

Cost average buy, market prays on people just like you.
I don't know what you mean by sell again. But, I do know that this is definitely not the time to be in the market. How much are you down since Jan? Don't tell me but think about it. Me, I'm up because I sold 100 percent in Jan and using some of that to play the GME put game, which does require good solid timing.
And, trust me, the market hasn't preyed on me in 30 years.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #283
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
I am using free cash to buy dividend stocks, particularly SBLK and GOGL. These are ocean freight companies that pay great dividends. When the market goes up, they have really gone up. When they peaked I sold them. When the market drops, they drop and I buy back in. I've done this several times. I'm buying in on dips now. When the market improves, they will increase 30% asap. Plus, I will get a dividend in the next 60 days of 15-20%.
Good info, thank you.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:41 PM   #284
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Up a fair amount, just keep plugging away. Wonít time the market nor know when a true bottom happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
I don't know what you mean by sell again. But, I do know that this is definitely not the time to be in the market. How much are you down since Jan? Don't tell me but think about it. Me, I'm up because I sold 100 percent in Jan and using some of that to play the GME put game, which does require good solid timing.
And, trust me, the market hasn't preyed on me in 30 years.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:09 AM   #285
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
Looks like the dividend payments are all over the place including near zero at times. What gives you the confidence these stocks will continue to pay high dividends in the future? I get the next dividend has already been announced and is priced into the stock price currently.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 07:14 AM   #286
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Wow looks like Bitcoin took another tumble over night. Anyone got some educated thoughts on where this whole crypto currency thing is head…
Old 06-30-2022, 08:38 AM   #287
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Wow looks like Bitcoin took another tumble over night. Anyone got some educated thoughts on where this whole crypto currency thing is headÖ
My son in law is enjoying the dip and is buying like crazy. I hope that he knows what he is doing.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #288
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

Stocks are on sale, buy more, the market will recovery. Its still not as bad a 2008, All that money recovered over time. Its seems like human nature to be negative about everything instead of being positive.
TENRMORE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #289
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
My son in law is enjoying the dip and is buying like crazy. I hope that he knows what he is doing.
Best of luck to him and your daughter. I considered buying a while back but just too much of a chicken to buy in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post
Stocks are on sale, buy more, the market will recovery. Its still not as bad a 2008, All that money recovered over time. Its seems like human nature to be negative about everything instead of being positive.
I agree that there is a high probability the markets will recover. I just wonder how much of the losses are for folks that bought in too late and jumped back out.

Additionally, if the markets donít recover we are all screwed. Lots of folks think that is impossible. I donít think is likely but at some point with so much national debt the poop is going to hit the fan blades.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #290
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
I was shocked that he didnít sell last year when it hit 64,000
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #291
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post
Yeah, right. With this idiot in chief and this congress, why would you buy in? Oct/Nov, yes, but not now. Like Aerosmith put it, Going Down.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:53 AM   #292
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SE Texas

I’m gonna fire my financial advisor and start following this thread!

Nostradamus had nothing on these future see’ers
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #293
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Up a fair amount, just keep plugging away. Wonít time the market nor know when a true bottom happens.
If you're up a fair amount since Jan. simply from holding then you are a market god.

Almost nothing is higher now than in Jan..
Old 06-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #294
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Iím gonna fire my financial advisor and start following this thread!

Nostradamus had nothing on these future seeíers
Any FA that kept you fully invested after December when FED flat said they would be raising rates a lot should be fired. And also if they kept you in bond funds "for the long haul".

Go read my posts back in Dec and Jan. Did I just get really lucky?
Old 06-30-2022, 11:08 AM   #295
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Iím gonna fire my financial advisor and start following this thread!

Nostradamus had nothing on these future seeíers
You should fire your FA.I'm sure you can do better handling your own money and not pay fees. I have a good friend making a lot of money advising people and they all are losing money because her firm has a policy of not selling to go to cash. Just follow the money.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #296
joey1656
Ten Point

Hunt In: avoyelles parish louisiana

I have 15 more until retirement and 11 more for my boys 529. I am still very aggressive and have increased my contributions. it's a good time to buy... i hope lol
joey1656 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 09:24 AM   #297
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
So if you start with 100k and look at your account 2 years later and it's 150k what do you tell the wife, that you're still break even because you have not sold or that you're up 50k.

Be honest!
Old 07-31-2022, 09:48 AM   #298
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

There is one self proclaimed expert that doesn't comment on this thread anymore who thinks that way. Lol.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:53 AM   #299
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

Turned 1/3 of held stocks to cash back in Feb. Looking to put it back in this month. Maybe some in Aug and rest in Sept.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 10:33 AM   #300
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I only have mutual funds with histories. I haven't moved anything. Down 7%
Same here down 15 but staying where I am.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top