Tonights Wild Game Supper Is........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonights Wild Game Supper Is........

I saw this image and a recipe on a Facebook group and it just had me craving it. 1st time I've attempted it, and it hit the spot for me.(Photo is my cre/imitation.

Its just essentially thin sliced fried backstrap sliders. (Nilgai for this one)

Between the Buns: (Sweet rolls)

Mash Potato
    Whole mustard
    Carmalized onions

Its a straight up meal, in sandwiches.

A satisfying wild game treat I've never thought about before and so simple and satisfyingly tasty.

With all the venison and other wild game from this this season, both mine and yalls

What are some unique go-to recipes I should try out!?[emoji1666][emoji846] I enjoy cooking new things

I try to keep it fresh, but always am a home originals fan.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Public; 01-19-2022, 10:18 PM.

Did you do anything to the Nilgai other than slicing it thin? I got some back strap I trimmed out today but it’s from a big bull and their generally pretty tough. I was thinking about running it through the tenderizer and chicken frying it. Which is the only way I do bulls but that looks pretty good.

Comment

Wow! I can practically smell ‘em from here!

As for favorite recipes, that’s a tough one. I introduced something new to my family a couple of years ago, Sheperd’s Pie. Meatier than a Pot Pie, I like it because I can include a variety of things that boost the nutritional value (such as a homemade stock or a variety of vegetables, because we don’t eat enough of them as it is) and that elevate the flavor profile (I usually add some sort of wine or spirit to all my recipes that call for stewing or braising, or, I might brown my meat in the same skillet I used to fry bacon that morning). The effort to layering these steps helps add complexity to something that started out as a meal fit for a pauper.

I also enjoy using wild game to make Bolognese Sauce, a recipe handed down by my mother, but just this Fall I came across a recipe for Ragú, something I had never even eaten before I made it. When, after the first bite, my husband’s eyes all but rolled back in his head, I knew I had a winner.

In each of these recipes, I spend time cooking my game “low and slow” to achieve maximum tenderness and shredability (sic?) before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. This means the process is an all-day commitment. I don’t mind, though. I’m happiest in my little kitchen where you’ll generally find me alone (because anyone who ventures in there gets out to work) with a cocktail in my hand!

Looking forward to seeing what others have to share.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

As for favorite recipes, that’s a tough one. I introduced something new to my family a couple of years ago, Sheperd’s Pie. Meatier than a Pot Pie, I like it because I can include a variety of things that boost the nutritional value (such as a homemade stock or a variety of vegetables, because we don’t eat enough of them as it is) and that elevate the flavor profile (I usually add some sort of wine or spirit to all my recipes that call for stewing or braising, or, I might brown my meat in the same skillet I used to fry bacon that morning). The effort to layering these steps helps add complexity to something that started out as a meal fit for a pauper.

I also enjoy using wild game to make Bolognese Sauce, a recipe handed down by my mother, but just this Fall I came across a recipe for Ragú, something I had never even eaten before I made it. When, after the first bite, my husband’s eyes all but rolled back in his head, I knew I had a winner.

In each of these recipes, I spend time cooking my game “low and slow” to achieve maximum tenderness and shredability (sic?) before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. This means the process is an all-day commitment. I don’t mind, though. I’m happiest in my little kitchen where you’ll generally find me alone (because anyone who ventures in there gets out to work) with a cocktail in my hand!

I've been making Shepards pie for my family for many years as well. It's one of their favorites and venison is perfect for it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
          I've been making Shepards pie for my family for many years as well. It's one of their favorites and venison is perfect for it.

Mine, too! Actually, I can’t believe my mother never made this for us growing up, but she’d never heard of Shepherd’s Pie before I made it. But then, she’s a West Texas girl who grew up eating chili and beans. And to clarify, they were two separate meals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine, too! Actually, I can’t believe my mother never made this for us growing up, but she’d never heard of Shepherd’s Pie before I made it. But then, she’s a West Texas girl who grew up eating chili and beans. And to clarify, they were two separate meals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Same here. Grew up on meals of chili and beans....not chili with beans! Lol
            We had a pot of beans as a meal at least once a week

Comment

We eat mostly wild game meat. Venison stir fry, tacos, fajitas (flank meat), yesterday was javelina barbacoa (see recipe forum), deer chili, spaghetti & meatballs, venison stew.

Additionally, we raise our own meat rabbits and use that for most chicken recipes.

Just started raising quail.

Comment

Those look great!!

It is hard to pin point my favorite recipe. As the weather, occasion, and mood dictate what is my favorite. But here goes a couple I enjoy.

Fish, of any variety. Filet coat the outside lightly with ranch dressing and whatever seasonings you like. Grill or bake in the oven. I prefer grilled on a cedar plank that has soaked in water or wine. I soak the planks overnight for the next day use.

Roast cut from any species deer, pig, etc. Throw into a crock pot. Packet of ranch dressing mix, packet of Au Jus, jar of slice pepperchinis (spelling might be off...) if you are into cooking with cast iron. Do this in your Dutch oven over a camp fire. Great camp meal. Serve on sweet rolls or better yet. Get Dale Moser beer bread recipe. Man oh man. Great meal!

Take a nice thick cut of meat/steak. Slice a pocket in the middle. Fill with sliced mushrooms, fresh spinach, caramelized onions, garlic, and fresh mozzarella balls. Close just the pocket with bacon pinned to the cut of meat. Season to your liking. I prefer to smoke it on low heat for about an hour. Then pan sear in a cast iron skillet. You'll thank me later on this one. Sometimes I eat it with horse radish sauce on the side like a prime rib.

Comment

Those look great.

Comment

Looks delicious

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      Did you do anything to the Nilgai other than slicing it thin? I got some back strap I trimmed out today but it’s from a big bull and their generally pretty tough. I was thinking about running it through the tenderizer and chicken frying it. Which is the only way I do bulls but that looks pretty good.
                      Yes, after slicing thin I covered in plastic wrap and pounded it with a meat tenderizer

Comment

I think I saw the same FB thing as you and was a little thrown off by the mashed taters on a sandwich but I'd sure try it.

The one thing out of the ordinary that I like to do with my ground venison is Gyros. Alton Brown has a recipe on the internet, I just use ground venison in place of lamb or beef and it turns out great. Of course we do all the bacon wrapped, chicken fried, tacos, spaghetti, chili, etc but the gyro is one that is a little out of the ordinary that we really liked.

Comment

From someone who grew up in the UK and still have half my family over there;

Shepherd's pie = Lamb
                          Cottage pie = Beef
                          Hunter's pie = Venison

One must be proper about how one speaks!

The standard is: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe2-1942900

Comment

Well now I have a list of wild game dishes to prepare this cold week. Thanks for all yalls feed back.

If you are a big wild game fan, I am attending the Wild Game Supper tomorrow (Jan 1st) in Halletsville, its the wrap up of the KC Big Buck contest and awards/raffles. Lots of food and antlers to look at, even a couple public land bucks that would have been 1st and 6th place.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                              From someone who grew up in the UK and still have half my family over there;

Shepherd's pie = Lamb
                              Cottage pie = Beef
                              Hunter's pie = Venison

One must be proper about how one speaks!

The standard is: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe2-1942900

HAHA, I like the sound of Hunters Pie and I have to agree. That makes much better sense!

Comment

Working...
                              X