Hog Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Recipes

So, my son shot a good size boar last night, and was wondering if there is anything he should do to help in preparing it. I was trying to give him pros and cons of a sow vs a boar, but it was his first so ....

Thoughts?

Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

We do not eat the boars on our place. They all stink, regardless of size.

As for sows, crock pot, or, I’ll do a ham/shoulder just like a brisket.

Comment

You will never ever get the stank out of a rutting boar hog. Buzzards don't seem to mind the smell.

There is one way but it takes time. Trap it alive. Cut it's nuts off and turn it loose for bout a year. Then kill it. A barr hog won't stink any more than a sweet sow.
        Last edited by muzzlebrake; 11-14-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I’ve ate many large boars several pushing 300 lbs and haven’t had one yet that tasted different than a sow. I do put them on ice and drain daily for 3-5 days. Only bad wild hog meat I’ve ever had looked to be from a 80 pound pig. A friend had it processed and didn’t eat it. Gave me some ground meat and ribs. Tried to cook it and the ribs and the ground meat both stunk up the house and I had to toss it out. In my opinion if you end up with smelly meat it was most likely due to it not being taken care of after the harvest. Most people I know that don’t mind putting in some work and skinning and processing meat themselves would rather eat an old boar than a deer.

Comment

I approve this message. Soak in ice water for an extended period of time and cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              I approve this message. Soak in ice water for an extended period of time and cook.

X3 never had a bad boar, and have ate a 300lb er but we have water on my place so they stay clean and eat really good. Soak like said above and go. Although I pulled the straps off my last one and went straight to the smoker and they were fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually smoke a ham till done. Pull it out let it cool. Debone if not done prior to smoking. After it has cooled where you can handle it dice up into 1” cubes “approximately”. Put in a pan and begin frying. Do not add oil, add water till it is just below the meat. Add water as it evaporates, you may have to do this a few times till meat is tender. Add a splash of cumin and the juice of two oranges. This will give the meat a red tint or glaze.

Continue to simmer until all fluids are gone. Serve hot on a flour tortilla with home made pico, avocado, Spanish rice, and el charro beans. Great Smokey flavor and really hardy carnitas tacos. I usually bag up the left overs refrigerate, annd eat of it for a couple days.

Comment

I’ve used the sous vide method on backstraps from a boar I shot, and it turned out great. Just marinade in any kind of marinade you like on pork, and as long as you had proper handling of the meat after the kill it should be great.

Comment

Congrats to your son by the way on his first boar!

Comment

The common off-taste from boars is recognized by the meat industry as boar taint and is caused by biochemical compounds produced by the animal and is embedded in the meat. While it may be possible to mask the offensive taste to some degree with seasoning and cooking methods, there is really no way to get rid of it. The good news is that about 25-30% of the population is not sensitive to this offensive taste/smell. Therefore while some people may not be offended by it, others are. That is why some folks tolerate it and others can’t.

A different kind of offensive taste can be found in pigs, especially wild pigs, and that is caused by stressed. Pigs highly stressed at the time of slaughter, regardless of size, age, sex can exhibit an offense taste. This can sometimes be observed in other game animals as well.

Comment

first off, that's a good hog. I have not really found any difference on boar or sow. if you let them set in a field 4 hours yes. dont hit the pee sack during cleaning and you are good. ice for 3 day's

Comment

I haven’t tossed a pig because of smell yet but I have just because I didn’t feel like cleaning them. I think some folks look for a justification in chunking an animal they killed. [emoji854]

Comment

Man years ago we shot a big boar clean head shot drt. It was extremely cold around New Years or so. My brother and I strung him up and cleaned him. Popo told us not too but we did anyways.

We took some nice fresh boneless chops inside and put them on a hot skillet… ended up being the best way to ruin a nice skillet and stink up the house for days.

I won’t clean a pig now unless it has absolutely no smell to it. Good luck.

Comment

Cut a rack of ribs out with a saw and smoke 'em slow. Pretty darn good.

Comment

Working...
                              X