No announcement yet.

3L Duramax opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put me in the group that loves it when it's running, but continual emission issues have left a bad taste in my my mouth. My truck mainly takes long trips on the road, so the issue isn't short trips. This time, it's been sitting at the dealership for about a month, waiting for an ECM. There's no timetable for the part to arrive. GM is paying for a rental car, but the situation sucks. The fuel mileage and power are outstanding, but I've never had a new vehicle struggle to stay on the road. My truck is 2 years old, but the dealership tells me the new vehicles have the same issue. That's why there's such a backlog for replacement parts.

Comment

Originally posted by texizona View Post
      Put me in the group that loves it when it's running, but continual emission issues have left a bad taste in my my mouth. My truck mainly takes long trips on the road, so the issue isn't short trips. This time, it's been sitting at the dealership for about a month, waiting for an ECM. There's no timetable for the part to arrive. GM is paying for a rental car, but the situation sucks. The fuel mileage and power are outstanding, but I've never had a new vehicle struggle to stay on the road. My truck is 2 years old, but the dealership tells me the new vehicles have the same issue. That's why there's such a backlog for replacement parts.
      Where are you located? PM me. I'd like to make sure you are back on the road.

Comment

My local dealer posted they got 4 truckloads of pickups in this week. I stopped in yesterday and they said not a single one was a 3.0L Duramax. The salesman was trying to sell me the new 2.7L turbo. He said they can't keep them on the lot, but that's probably true for any pickup right now. I hear it's got great torque, I may go drive one, but seriously don't think I'd buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
          My local dealer posted they got 4 truckloads of pickups in this week. I stopped in yesterday and they said not a single one was a 3.0L Duramax. The salesman was trying to sell me the new 2.7L turbo. He said they can't keep them on the lot, but that's probably true for any pickup right now. I hear it's got great torque, I may go drive one, but seriously don't think I'd buy one.
          Were running a few of the 2.7 turbos for work trucks. They have been impressive. Ive driven one and was pretty impressed with the power it has for such a small engine, they pull trailers pretty good as well.

Comment

Love my 3.0 2021 RST Z71. 51K miles no issues. I average 28-30 MPG(hand calculated). 18-20 MPG towing the bass boat.

Comment

Absolutely the best power plant with the ten speed trans for a 1/2 ton.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
                Absolutely the best power plant with the ten speed trans for a 1/2 ton.
                How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                  How so?
                  Because he owns one

Here’s the deal , I don’t care which manufacturer you may purchase from there will be issues Especially if it was built in the last 3 yrs and including right now! I Definitely would not purchase a diesel that has to be torn apart at said 150k - that’s just absolutely Nuts to start off with.
                  Last edited by Bucknaked; 09-23-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                    Because he owns one

That’s kind of what I was thinking, but was going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                      Read above. The emission issues are from lack of driving. Lack of exhaust heat. The turbo engines suffer as well. Lack of oiling. Lack of hwy speeds. Lack of being "stretched" out. Then suffer from Lack of cooling down or idle time. Both suffer the same issues. Driving style. If you are the in town. Short quick trip person. You WILL have issues. Turbo Gas or diesel.

Agreed with this. Noisy off the guys I see with diesel issues don't drive them long enough and get them hot. My '20 power stroke has 72k and runs like new. Zero issues

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                        Because he owns one

Here’s the deal , I don’t care which manufacturer you may purchase from there will be issues Especially if it was built in the last 3 yrs and including right now! I Definitely would not purchase a diesel that has to be torn apart at said 150k - that’s just absolutely Nuts to start off with.

No, as was said earlier in the thread the folks who buy diesels and make them mall crawlers are the ones that have problems.

Work them and get them hot and issues go way down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          No, as was said earlier in the thread the folks who buy diesels and make them mall crawlers are the ones that have problems.

Work them and get them hot and issues go way down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                          They may go down, but I can assure you they won’t be eliminated.

Comment

Of course, it can pull the boat with ease. I laugh how everyone needs a huge truck now to pull something. Growing up my dad would have a bumper trailer loaded with cattle on 1/2 Ford. When I was in my early 20s, I pulled a boat around East Texas with a Ford Ranger 4 cly and standard transmission.

Comment

I stopped in at the local dealer yesterday to drive a truck with the 2.7, but they had just received a Chevy LTZ Z71 with the 3.0L Duramax in Dark Ash Metallic. I took it for a test drive and man that is an awesome truck! It won't win a drag race against a 6.2L, but it isn't slow either. I loved everything about the truck, other than I really want the Sand Dune Metallic color, which is only available in the Trail Boss. I would also like the max tow with 3.73 differential, but it's not available in the Trail Boss.
                              I forgot all about driving the 2.7L, I'll have to go back up there to do that.

Comment

I stopped in at the local dealer yesterday to drive a truck with the 2.7, but they had just received a Chevy LTZ Z71 with the 3.0L Duramax in Dark Ash Metallic. I took it for a test drive and man that is an awesome truck! It won't win a drag race against a 6.2L, but it isn't slow either. I loved everything about the truck, other than I really want the Sand Dune Metallic color, which is only available in the Trail Boss. I would also like the max tow with 3.73 differential, but it's not available in the Trail Boss.
                                I forgot all about driving the 2.7L, I'll have to go back up there to do that.
                                2023 model? I saw where the new ones added 25 more HP. Is that the 3.0 or the 2.7? Buddy got his 2022 in April and needless to say it crushes his old tundra in mileage.

Comment

Working...
                                X