No announcement yet.

Seed oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re don’t want to pay the price for seed oats. Get a bag of the cheap oats you want to plant. Take a 100 or so seeds out of the bag. Place them in a layer of paper towels. Wet it down. In a couple of days you would be able to see what amount have sprouted to determine what percent will germinate.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      I've been using these oats for about 7 years very good seeds. I used to plant when you do but after losing about 10 acres to army worms I wait until October. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
      I have planted about this time since 2008. We have never lost any to Army worms. Now my lawn, a different story. Army worms got me about 3 times in the past 20 years.

Comment

I’ve got a bow setup with a gravity feeder. Thought of planting just a small strip of a plot but I noticed a lot of iron ore clay. What’s a good soil conditioner to use or lime it to help support the seed better?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          If you’re don’t want to pay the price for seed oats. Get a bag of the cheap oats you want to plant. Take a 100 or so seeds out of the bag. Place them in a layer of paper towels. Wet it down. In a couple of days you would be able to see what amount have sprouted to determine what percent will germinate.
          I was going to suggest this

We did seed or race horse oats for years. Like 40. Got some buck forage from snowflake one year and the results weren't even comparable.

I will probably turn my dirt in a week or so then plant in October.

Deer will be on corn till acorns fall and won't mess with food plots well till December anyway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought seed oats, only 6 bags so not a ton of $ difference. I also planted yesterday because I had moisture. I’ll use Intrepid (kill and residual) if I start seeing sign of worms. Expensive but I don’t have a ton of ground to cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              I was going to suggest this

We did seed or race horse oats for years. Like 40. Got some buck forage from snowflake one year and the results weren't even comparable.

I will probably turn my dirt in a week or so then plant in October.

Deer will be on corn till acorns fall and won't mess with food plots well till December anyway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              I have planted feed oats before,for me they come up in clumps and would die off quick. You are correct about December and that gives me time to wait out the army worms. I need a lot of rain still.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                I have planted feed oats before,for me they come up in clumps and would die off quick. You are correct about December and that gives me time to wait out the army worms. I need a lot of rain still.
                With your kind of money you should irrigate [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X