Seed oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    Did he test them? I doubt it. Buy a bag of horse oats and test them yourself. I'll bet you'll be surprised.
    We do plant horse oats & dykon radishes, they produce good enough for me

Comment

How do you know feed oats are only 60% germination. Did you test them?
      Ask your county extension agent about germination rates of bin run oats. Bin run oats, race horse oats and feed oats are all the same just a different name. Feed oats will also carry all types of weed seeds in them and the embryo will be damaged in many of the oats because of they way they are harvested. You may get a germination rate of 10 percent or a rate of 70 percent per bag, this is all information from the county extension agent. Their phone number is 830-393-7357 you can call them direct and argue with them all you want. You have stated many times to people to plant feed oats but you do not understand how much effort is put in a food plot.

I paid 250.00 for 5 gallons of herbicide this year, diesel fuel is 4.59 a gallon and it takes me about 14 hours of tractor time to put in my fall plots. I plant 600 pounds of oat seed and it’s not worth saving 60.00 by planting feed oats or getting a field of ragweed instead of oats. It is really not hard to understand.

Comment

Did he test them? I doubt it. Buy a bag of horse oats and test them yourself. I'll bet you'll be surprised.
        Yep, might get a field of ragweed instead of oats. You don’t even have food plots, why do you want to argue a mute point?
        Last edited by Radar; 09-10-2022, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          Who Carrie’s TAMU oats? The university? Producers?
          Lyssy and Eckel, TAMU oats do very good in my area

Comment

Plant what you want and spend what you want. I used to plant 420 acres yearly. I know that's not a food plot. A bit more important. We always used our own seed from the previous years harvest. And all oats are harvested with a combine and I've never seen a combine with seed oats harvester written anywhere on it. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Just saying there is an alternative to certified oats.

Comment

Plant what you want and spend what you want. I used to plant 420 acres yearly. I know that's not a food plot. A bit more important. We always used our own seed from the previous years harvest. And all oats are harvested with a combine and I've never seen a combine with seed oats harvester written anywhere on it. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Just saying there is an alternative to certified oats.
              You are arguing about a whole savings of 5.00 on a bag of oats that may not even germinate or have some kind of noxious weed seed in it. It appears that you cannot understand or you did not read my post about costs in a plot,so we will leave it at that.

I reckon I will get me some race horse and sing Camptown races while I plant them

Comment

As far as planting time I would wait until first to mid October. Army worms love oats. We get our seed from Ranchland in Goldthwaite and they mix or oats with fertilizer and loan us the buggy to spread. Not gonna **** ant 50lb bags if I don’t have to

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  You are arguing about a whole savings of 5.00 on a bag of oats that may not even germinate or have some kind of noxious weed seed in it. It appears that you cannot understand or you did not read my post about costs in a plot,so we will leave it at that.

I reckon I will get me some race horse and sing Camptown races while I plant them
                  Be sure and buy seed oats with a deer picture on the bag. Nothing else will sprout.

Comment

Be sure and buy seed oats with a deer picture on the bag. Nothing else will sprout.
                    TAMU oats come in a plain old brown bag, Lyssy and Eckel sells them to most of the farmers in the area. Just a good strain of oats that do well around here, Texas A&M developed this strain. You are confused about what some guys are buying that are advertised as Buck Forage Oats. I do not know the prices of those, so I can’t help you with the savings of your race horse oats and Buck Forage oats.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      TAMU oats come in a plain old brown bag, Lyssy and Eckel sells them to most of the farmers in the area. Just a good strain of oats that do well around here, Texas A&M developed this strain. You are confused about what some guys are buying that are advertised as Buck Forage Oats. I do not know the prices of those, so I can’t help you with the savings of your race horse oats and Buck Forage oats.
                      Agreed locally sourced are a wise choice, over a national conglomerate with technology fees tacked on

Comment

I’ll google tamu oats in Brazos and Robertson county and see what comes up. Do army worms look like caterpillars?

Comment

Mix oats and rye to get a longer growing season. The rye will grow when it's warmer and slow when it gets cold and oats take over.

Ideal planting for us is right around now, plus or minus a couple weeks depending on rain.

Worms, weather, etc are just part of the game. If you are scared of that you will never plant. It's different planting a food plot vs for grazing cattle. Cattle you wait because you really don't need them until maybe Dec and you have a lot more at risk for worms and weather.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Same ! I used to plant labor day weekend whether wet or dry, but now that I’m retired and my best friend is also, we wait until the optimum time to plant. My plots are sprayed and mowed and waiting for that time. Year before last I had to replant after Army worms ate my wheat to the ground. I’m gonna try to not repeat that !
                            Happened to me a few years back very costly. My plots are ready to plant as of today but I will wait

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                              This.
                              Until you do

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
                                Put mine in the ground yesterday. I used Whitetail Institute Buck Forage Oats. Cost more but worth every penny. I have been using them for years and they out perform most other plot seed. Ground was moist and in good shape due to recent rains. Now we need more rain!
                                I've been using these oats for about 7 years very good seeds. I used to plant when you do but after losing about 10 acres to army worms I wait until October. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X