Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Add Additional AC To Camper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If put a 13.5K BTU portable in mine. Run an extension cord out where my power comes in and plug it in to a different power source. Exhaust it out the window. MY 29' with a single roof mounted AC stays 70 when its 100+ out now.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
      If you trailer is 50 amp then it should be pre-wired for the second AC. I am shocked that the sell units in Texas with only 1 AC-heck I am thinking about added a 3rd to my fifth wheel
      My neighbor just had the dealer add a 3rd to his. Dealer charged $2,000 but it did make a huge difference

Comment

Redneck it. Window units are cheap. I have 2 in my 36' camper.

Comment

just had a second one put into my Jayco trailer. Ran 2 grand -

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
            If put a 13.5K BTU portable in mine. Run an extension cord out where my power comes in and plug it in to a different power source. Exhaust it out the window. MY 29' with a single roof mounted AC stays 70 when its 100+ out now.
            I put a 10k portable in mine and it works real well, I bought mine off Amazon for 250.00

Comment

Many different ways to skin this cat.

CareyBirdwell on here added a 2nd unit to ours and I didn’t have a roof vent in the front bedroom. Looks like it was factory installed.

The difference is really almost unbelievable. Mine is an older trailer (2006) so insulation isn’t the best but it will keep it in the mid-low 70s in the camper even during the middle of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am thinking about it for the heat as well to get away from the propane. Any comments about that aspect?

Comment

If you go the portable ac route (fastest and simplestfix in my opinion) make sure you get a dual hose unit! A single hose unit constantly pulls in outside (hot) air. A dual hose unit has one intake hose from outside air that passes over the condenser and then exits out the exhaust hose. Therefore a dual hose doesn't create a negative pressure to bring in hot air. I hope this makes sense?

They make portables that are also heaters. ( basically a heat pump on wheels)

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice Dmo! Do you hire out?

I think I am pretty handy. But cutting into the roof of my RV might be outta my scope of handiness. There is a crank up vent in the bedroom. There are no wires or little fan. Could that hole be used for another roof top unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      Very nice Dmo! Do you hire out?

I think I am pretty handy. But cutting into the roof of my RV might be outta my scope of handiness. There is a crank up vent in the bedroom. There are no wires or little fan. Could that hole be used for another roof top unit?

They are all designed to fit in a 14 1/2” square hole. Hiding the wires is the only part of the whole thing that is any challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        They are all designed to fit in a 14 1/2” square hole. Hiding the wires is the only part of the whole thing that is any challenge.

Did the airflow unit that Briar Friar mentioned in your post help?

Also my camper is 30 amp. Can I even add a second unit with out 50 amp. I have mentioned before. Me and electrical things don't jive!
                        Last edited by Abcdj; 07-26-2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

All those campers have the ceiling joists on 16 inch centers, so there’s 14 1/2 inches in between. You don’t need an existing opening, just get between two joists, and block in around the opening on the sides, seal the attic off with foil tape, and you’re in business.

Like I said, getting the wire there is the hardest part.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            redneck it. Window units are cheap. I have 2 in my 36' camper.
                            That's what I was thinking.

[ATTACH]1096316[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                              Did the airflow unit that Briar Friar mentioned in your post help?

Yes, made a noticeable difference in airflow from the original ducts.

Comment

Working...
                              X