No announcement yet.

Action Truing Ride Along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious if you have had any experience with the Nosler Liberty Actions? If I would have known about Alamo back then I would have saved up a few more $100 bills and bought a true custom.

Comment

What is your take on Winchester model 70 actions? Are they usually worth building off of? I have a older post 64 I want to build a 280ai on but if it’s going to cost the same or close to the same as a custom action I’d rather just do that.

Comment

Originally posted by shaness View Post
        Robert, what is it about the manufacturing process with 700 actions that (presumably) make them more susceptible to warpage than the 700 "clones"?
        The heat treat is done after the machining process. Easier on tooling, but can allow for some migration in the process. Most of your customs will be machined using pre hardened material.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          Curious if you have had any experience with the Nosler Liberty Actions? If I would have known about Alamo back then I would have saved up a few more $100 bills and bought a true custom.
          I don't have much experience with the Nosler actions. I feel like we may have re-barreled one or two over the years, but rarely see one come through the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            What is your take on Winchester model 70 actions? Are they usually worth building off of? I have a older post 64 I want to build a 280ai on but if it’s going to cost the same or close to the same as a custom action I’d rather just do that.
            They are definitely worth building on for hunting rifle projects. The biggest downside is selection of aftermarket parts, like stocks, will be limited compared to the 700 footprint stuff.

Comment

When you bore out the old threads in the receiver, do you simply add the 0.010" to the major diameter of the barrel tenon thread or do you have a specific way to measure the new thread depth on the receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by ptaylortx View Post
                When you bore out the old threads in the receiver, do you simply add the 0.010" to the major diameter of the barrel tenon thread or do you have a specific way to measure the new thread depth on the receiver?
                Yes, the thread depth will obviously need to increase by whatever amount the receiver was opened up. When I am opening up the receiver I carry it all the way back to within about .025" of the lug abutments. This creates a new qualified surface to zero out the threading tool. Then we know exactly how deep to cut. I also extend the existing threads a couple revolutions, so essentially you are cutting an entirely new set of threads, although it will be a ghost pass over the existing portion until you get close to final depth.

Comment

Working...
                X