Champion Homes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Champion Homes?

Hey fellas, my wife and I need a bigger house, we have the original that was on our 4 acres when we bought it. We always had the intentions of adding on but just never have been in the place to be able to. Well at current construction prices it is pretty much assured that it is out of reach to add on what we need.
    We have 6 kiddos and need an additional 1700 sq fit on top of the 850 that is here to have the space we would like and need. I know some will think that might be a bit excessive but this is our place we plan to stay until we retire. Grandkids will be coming here and there are going to be a lot of people in our future!
    Selling and cashing out on what we have isn’t that good of an option considering the cost of something bigger is astronomical compared to what we paid for this place. We honestly would have to give up acreage and with cows and horses that’s not an option for us.
    So we are looking hard at the idea of tearing down the structure that is here and having a brand new Champion Homes manufactured home built here. The foundation would be set per VA/HUD standards so it would be considered permanent as it is set on concrete beams and glued blocks. Eventually I’ll do rock work instead of standard skirting and with decks and porches I think it will be really nice.
    Build quality is 2x6 exterior walls, 2x4 interior walls, 2x8 floor joists, 5/8” OSB tongue and groove decking. 1/2” taped and bedded Sheetrock throughout. LowE vinyl windows. It looks like a stick built house inside. Flat 8.5’ ceilings with tray ceiling in the living and master. List goes on and on.
    I don’t see much downside. Especially considering the resale I have seen on them lately around here. I honestly don’t think I will loose value over the long run. Real estate is always a gamble regardless and I’m looking at staying here for 30-40 years or until I pass on.
    What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champion homes are pretty solid built in comparison to most other manufactures. They are one of the heavier built homes for sure.

I wouldn’t deal with palm harbor. Biggest scam artists out there in my opinion. And I have a very valid opinion based on my prior employment with them.

Pratt homes out of Tyler build great homes but for the money you could site build one. Stay away from united built homes.. and stay away from stylectaft homes. I’ve had experience on the building side of those too.

Comment

I’ve got a 2002 Champion single wide. It’s been very solid. Just wish I’d bought a double wide, but after buying the land, didn’t have the money for the bigger model.

Comment

We bought a Champion Home in 2003. About 1600 sq ft, 3 bed - 2 bath. Only problems are cabinet hardware are junk and with I had selected linoleum throughout the house. Solid construction, reasonable heating and cooling rates, we like it.

Comment

Have a 99 model double wide, structurally sound to this day. Added on a 32x16 den on the backside "pier beam". Champion is built like house not a trailer.

Comment

Good info guys, makes our decision that much easier when we feel we are getting a quality product. We are going to Athens to look at the floor plan we chose in person and to see the construction process before we sign anything. I felt that they were a solid home but hearing it from those who have one makes it that much better.
            Has anyone had to warranty anything? How is their customer service? And has anyone dealt with Factory Showcase Homes out of Mansfield? They will end up being our sales office.

Comment

Why not keep the house your in now also for future use?

Comment

Have you looked at Clayton homes??

Or Solitare homes.

Comment

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
                  Why not keep the house your in now also for future use?

I really have no need for it and need the utilities off of it. I really am trying to preserve space for grazing animals as much as I can on the small acreage.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                    Have you looked at Clayton homes??

Or Solitare homes.

I did look at Clayton but felt they were way overpriced for what they offered. Haven’t looked at Solitaire but might just to say I did.

Comment

Working...
                    X