Shipping container taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping container taxes

Ok friends, Fisher County CAD is trying to tax me on a 20' shipping container. I didn't think non-permanent structures were taxable. They were on it too, it has only been in place 3 weeks, not visible from any road and I already got a letter asking to come measure it "for tax purposes". Is there any way to argue my case? Any info appreciated. On me like a duck on a junebug...

Originally posted by Spades View Post
    Ok friends, Fisher County CAD is trying to tax me on a 20' shipping container. I didn't think non-permanent structures were taxable. They were on it too, it has only been in place 3 weeks, not visible from any road and I already got a letter asking to come measure it "for tax purposes". Is there any way to argue my case? Any info appreciated. On me like a duck on a junebug...
    That’s nuts...

Do they want to tax you on your deer blind too?
    Tell them you are going to move it or make it a deer blind, or going put it on a trailer.

Comment

How non-permanent is it? If it's truly just a shipping container out there, it's not going to amount to anything. If you've got it fashioned as a cabin and connected to electricity and water, etc, it's going to be a different story.

Comment

It probably depends on the taxing entity. I have a couple of small buildings and a morgan building. The morgan building is not taxed.

Comment

No real help to ya, but they probably saw it from an airplane. They fly over every so often looking to find new structures. They got my grandfather last year for a "new" barn and cook shack.. both of which have been there for 15-20 years.

Comment

I'm sure every county is different. I've had a 40' container at my place for 14 years and they've yet to tax it. Now I've got an 80' mobile home that they love to tax.

Comment

I was told my county is going to start taxing them soon

Comment

Get ready for more of this. Many rural appraisal districts are increasingly using drones. It will be harder to avoid taxes by having your house/cabin behind a non-fancy gate and not visible from the road.

Comment

My county charges personal property tax, is this what they told you? The county new the exact size from aerial photos.

Comment

the taxes can't be high. show them what you paid for it and pay the dang 2%.

Comment

it's all satellite images they use , we have no privacy at all anymore , I think we need to start camouflaging everything like they did in WW2 LOL

Comment

Spades - I'd give them a call and tell them what it is, they likely got it from a satellite image they get annually to pick up new improvements. From the air it make look like a more permanent structure. If you do not have plans to keep it there, definitely mention that to them as well.

Comment

They can measure it from the aerial, so that's bull****. Tell them no.

I met the chief appraiser halfway down my 1/4 mile driveway when we were building our house and told him to get off my property until he made an appointment. He asked instead for a set of plans, with which I (kind of) provided him.

Comment

They do not have to come out and measure. They get it from the image

Comment

I think they want to come see it and make sure it's just a box and not a cabin type but they said they need to measure it which I know is crap since even I know how to measure stuff on Google maps. It just bugs me that they were on me like that. And TeamAmerica it's not the money, it's the fact that I got taxed to buy it then again to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X