Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #101
Jason
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
Many of you may not be old enough to remember going hunting and seeing nothing.

I grew up in East Texas when there simply weren't any deer because of poor management. That has changed for the better in lots of places, including where I used to hunt.

I'd still rather sit in a stand and see deer I can't shoot, than sit there and see nothing.
This is absolutely true. Iíve hunted East Texas my whole life. There were years we would 1-2 deer ALL YEAR. This morning I let this deer walk because I think MAYBE the neighbors might let him walk as well. It seems that for the most part people are not shooting the first deer they see (used to be the only one youíd get a shot at) and letting deer grow due to the lack of fear of never seeing him again. I like the AR rule.
Attached Images

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #102
wtb90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somerville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Me and my daughter hunted together twice this season. She filled a buck tag on each sit.

Skinny
Off topic question.... what rifle setup/caliber is your daughter using there?
wtb90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #103
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtb90 View Post
Off topic question.... what rifle setup/caliber is your daughter using there?

Smith and Wesson M&P 15 in 223.

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #104
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
I understand that. Thatís what the cost our licenses goes for. My comment was tongue and cheek. I donít expect them to participate in my costs. Would just be nice to be able good management decisions on my property without them telling me what to do. Weíve beat this dead horse a million times and the state will prevail. They, the State, have made us firm believers that unless the deer meets a certain criteria, we are bad property managers for wanting to harvest a less than they deem worthy. I get it.
That is what MLD is for.....you should look into it.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #105
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota7493 View Post
I think the first guy was right. Hunting is a dying sport with kids. I've been teaching just short of 20 years and have had thousands of kids come and go and have only talked to a handful of kids who hunt. It's exposure for sure. City kids won't hunt unless they have a parent that hunts or has hunted and affords them the opportunity. You go rural areas and you have families that have land or access to land and you have more kids that hunt for sure. Cities are getting bigger, small towns getting smaller.
I think this guy understands it.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #106
DeadEyeB
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
I applaud you for take your kid hunting.

Where I get confused, is passing a legal buck THAT THEY WANT TO SHOOT in the name of ďmanagement ď

I have zero desire to shoot a young deer anymore, none.... but my daughter donít know how to age and I watched her shake like micheal j fox shooting a year and a half 3 pt. Sheís hooked... itís a deer.... they make more every year.... itís small low fence property

Take them hunting AND HAVE FUN!!! &@$% management. Manage to have fun with your kids. You never know how long you got. So enjoy
you aren't the center of the universe man..

You literally said you are on small property.. What if all your small property neighbors did the same thing? What if they all had 3 kids all shooting young bucks?

It absolutely WILL jack your herd up.

Your daughter would have been fine with a doe and my guess is you have an over abundance of them with that mentality.

no one gives a **** about their neighbors anymore. This is why there are high fences going up left and right.
DeadEyeB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top