Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    Not even close..

Attended a high school sporting clays event today. In the rain and mud. If there was one there was 175 kids there. Im willing to bet 90% of them deer hunt. I know every one of the 40 or so I knew do. With their parents.

Id also like to add our high school team had 5 shooters last year. We're over 20 this year. Kids shooting sports is growing leaps and bounds!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I think the first guy was right. Hunting is a dying sport with kids. I've been teaching just short of 20 years and have had thousands of kids come and go and have only talked to a handful of kids who hunt. It's exposure for sure. City kids won't hunt unless they have a parent that hunts or has hunted and affords them the opportunity. You go rural areas and you have families that have land or access to land and you have more kids that hunt for sure. Cities are getting bigger, small towns getting smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      he is just in that 10 percent category that doesnt ever get over 13. doesnt mean the rule does not work and work well
      So now you know the exact category a particular buck falls into, and you have the data to know that the AR rule works and works well, interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
        So now you know the exact category a particular buck falls into, and you have the data to know that the AR rule works and works well, interesting
        yes I do. I listen to the people who make a living studying deer. I unlike some dont live in a small little world where I think I am the expert. i get all my knowledge from those that are the experts and whom have the education and experience to back up what they are saying.

Comment

yes I do. I listen to the people who make a living studying deer. I unlike some dont live in a small little world where I think I am the expert. i get all my knowledge from those that are the experts and whom have the education and experience to back up what they are saying.
          Wow.

Comment

I'm no expert on deer herd management or anything else for that matter. Could be I'm odd man out but I don't see any more deer now than when I started hunting in the mid 70s. I also don't see any difference in antler size. What I do see is most people on our lease and others surrounding us is that 90 percent of the hunters kill one 13" buck and a doe . It's rare that they kill a spike or one with an unbranched antler. What has effectively done is limit most to one buck. Simple math. Less deer killed equals more deer alive. It should be up to each property to manage as they want.

Comment

Outstanding

Comment

Using a novel approach, how many kids have video games? Do they quit playing when they don’t win? I’m betting they don’t and it’s the same with hunting, take them and make it fun. Even though you won’t kill one every hunt, show them the beauties of nature and get them hooked on the outdoors. My son and grandson loved to just go and they’re both avid hunters, whether they kill anything or not.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                  I'm no expert on deer herd management or anything else for that matter. Could be I'm odd man out but I don't see any more deer now than when I started hunting in the mid 70s. I also don't see any difference in antler size. What I do see is most people on our lease and others surrounding us is that 90 percent of the hunters kill one 13" buck and a doe . It's rare that they kill a spike or one with an unbranched antler. What has effectively done is limit most to one buck. Simple math. Less deer killed equals more deer alive. It should be up to each property to manage as they want.
                  Don’t try to confuse those of us that aren’t experts with simple logic!

Comment

ttt

Comment

Originally posted by KyleW View Post
                      East, south, west, north, it does not matter where you are. If the kid can shoot at every deer that walks out "legally", then what fun is there? That isn't hunting. That's shooting. The joy of taking a buck or even a doe after many many unsuccessful hunts is worth it. And yes, I hunted East Texas for years as a kid and never got a shot off. I understand the frustration, but it is worth the wait.
                      Because, in East Texas, deer don't parade by you like they do in Central Texas. Every deer maybe 2 a year and not every one can or does go every weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        Many of you may not be old enough to remember going hunting and seeing nothing.

I grew up in East Texas when there simply weren't any deer because of poor management. That has changed for the better in lots of places, including where I used to hunt.

I'd still rather sit in a stand and see deer I can't shoot, than sit there and see nothing.
                        This is absolutely true. I’ve hunted East Texas my whole life. There were years we would 1-2 deer ALL YEAR. This morning I let this deer walk because I think MAYBE the neighbors might let him walk as well. It seems that for the most part people are not shooting the first deer they see (used to be the only one you’d get a shot at) and letting deer grow due to the lack of fear of never seeing him again. I like the AR rule.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                          Me and my daughter hunted together twice this season. She filled a buck tag on each sit.

Skinny
                          Off topic question.... what rifle setup/caliber is your daughter using there?

Comment

Originally posted by wtb90 View Post
                            Off topic question.... what rifle setup/caliber is your daughter using there?

Smith and Wesson M&P 15 in 223.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                              I understand that. That’s what the cost our licenses goes for. My comment was tongue and cheek. I don’t expect them to participate in my costs. Would just be nice to be able good management decisions on my property without them telling me what to do. We’ve beat this dead horse a million times and the state will prevail. They, the State, have made us firm believers that unless the deer meets a certain criteria, we are bad property managers for wanting to harvest a less than they deem worthy. I get it.
                              That is what MLD is for.....you should look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                                I think the first guy was right. Hunting is a dying sport with kids. I've been teaching just short of 20 years and have had thousands of kids come and go and have only talked to a handful of kids who hunt. It's exposure for sure. City kids won't hunt unless they have a parent that hunts or has hunted and affords them the opportunity. You go rural areas and you have families that have land or access to land and you have more kids that hunt for sure. Cities are getting bigger, small towns getting smaller.
                                I think this guy understands it.

Comment

Working...
                                X