Home replacement Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home replacement Windows

Okay I live in League city in an older home built in 1970, original windows. It’s time to upgrade to some more energy efficient windows. Any recommendations on who to call for a quote and who not to call. Is there a particular model I should be looking at. I have a huge oak tree in my front yard that blocks the afternoon sun. It helps tremendously. Thank you in advance.

I have done a lot of research over the last year or so and settled on Advanced Window Products. They are out of Pasadena. It also helped that my neighbors used them about 5 years ago and they were awesome on the install and had some features in their windows others didn’t. Their windows were also not horribly deep like some others, so would work in brick much better.

Make sure to look at reviews everywhere online as well. Most importantly, on the BB site.

I discounted Window World pretty quick. I like Gulf Coast, but they were insanely high.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      I have done a lot of research over the last year or so and settled on Advanced Window Products. They are out of Pasadena. It also helped that my neighbors used them about 5 years ago and they were awesome on the install and had some features in their windows others didn’t. Their windows were also not horribly deep like some others, so would work in brick much better.

Make sure to look at reviews everywhere online as well. Most importantly, on the BB site.

I discounted Window World pretty quick. I like Gulf Coast, but they were insanely high.
      I had bought a home that already had Gulf Coast Windows. They were awesome. They had a wind rating of 120mph. Lifetime warranty against seal failure & glass break.

Comment

I used Lowes about 3 years ago,windows are 100% better then the old single glass we had before,install was done in 2 days with 2 men 15 windows,1 big Bay style window,My wife and I are very satisfied.

Comment

I used Superior. Great job. I had one of the mentioned above for a quote, lol. He started at $34,000 and I said No. He said he could not leave, lol, and I said want to bet? By the time he took 15 steps to my front door he was down to S18,000.... and his demo window was broke also, lol

Comment

We used andersen. We went with the middle grade window they have and it cut summer bills dramatically. I was happy with everything from start to finish

Comment

I did 21 windows myself. Purchased all of the windows from Lowes, double pane, double hung, screens, all the bells and whistles.

I just did a few windows a day on the weekends, wasn't hard at all. I am a software developer so this was a stretch for me!

Comment

Keep the info coming! Thank you all so far.

Comment

With AWP, I am sub $10K with 20 windows, 3 being tempered. Of the 20 windows, two are huge bay windows made up of a couple windows each. All double pane, double hung, low-e, argon, screens, lifetime warranty, and +100 mph wind rating, had aluminum reinforcing to keep the vinyl from ever sagging.

Window world was +/- the same price. Gulf coast was $22K and told me if I signed right away, they would knock off $5K, but wouldn’t honor the price if I didn’t do it right then.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                    I did 21 windows myself. Purchased all of the windows from Lowes, double pane, double hung, screens, all the bells and whistles.

I just did a few windows a day on the weekends, wasn't hard at all. I am a software developer so this was a stretch for me!
                    Do you have a brick facade? I've put many windows in over the years but never replaced windows with a brick facade. I suspect there are replacements built for that. I just haven't researched it yet. Installing windows isn't hard if you have a fairly square opening, get the window square, and follow the manufacturer's recommendations for attachment.

I plan to order a few at a time and install them.

Comment

Do it yourself. Youtube is your friend.

Seriously, i have worked for Guardian for 33 years. We make raw glass and also coat it, temper it, etc. we sell to several window manufacturers.

You want a window that is well-sealed and opens/closes easily. You also want low-e. In Texas i recommend a coating like our 55/27, which is a 55% visible light transmission product with a solar heat gain coefficient of .27. You can research the performance data on our website,

LowE is the key. Argon or krypton gas is nice, but the moisture vapor transmission rate of the butyl sealant will eventually allow most of the gas to escape within about five years.

Comment

Also, compare warranties from different manufacturers. That’s an indication of how good they really are...

Comment

Anderson windows are hard to beat.

Comment

Give Allstate window and siding, ask for Jimmy.

Comment

My house is fake rock, although I did them all from the inside of the house. My house was build in 1940 and had original windows.

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              Do you have a brick facade? I've put many windows in over the years but never replaced windows with a brick facade. I suspect there are replacements built for that. I just haven't researched it yet. Installing windows isn't hard if you have a fairly square opening, get the window square, and follow the manufacturer's recommendations for attachment.

I plan to order a few at a time and install them.

Comment

Working...
                              X