The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
    You get 3 choices, I would put in for 16a 2nd season. I think 16a is the best unit in NM.
    I will let my friend know, I am going off of what he told me.

Comment

Originally posted by buckybill View Post
      i'll be in Colorado to.
      Bill when the heck are you going? If NM does not work out I would love to share camp with ya again!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        I've hunted 15 a couple times and we have always got bulls down, not me o course, but I've packed a lot of quarters out there. I highly suggest you look at the Silver City area, then north up Hwy 15. Hunt all **** day, there will be a lot of 4 wheeler traffic and jeep traffic everywhere!!! NM loves them some road hunting, I've seen folks with arrows knocked riding around. Freak'n nuts. Stay up late or get up really really early and listen for bugles. Then be ready come daylight. They will usually hole up in the cedar and then come out in the parks right before dark in the evenings. I had a 330-340 bull that still gives me nightmares from up there, and we had a guy camped next to us that missed a give me shot on a beast that he took pictures of and holy heck was he big. Poor guy drank a ton of whiskey that night mumbling to himself the whole time. The Gila is awesome, good luck to you!
        I appreciate the info sir!

Comment

Well, looks like I'm going to give the Train to Hunt challenge a go this year, should be a lot of fun and great practice. I will also be buying a couple reed calls to practice with while I'm on the road. We shall see how that goes.

Owner of Train To Hunt, Kenton Clairmont, takes you through the new format and divisions for the 2014 Train To Hunt Challenge.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5HDFLtjfI&list=UUf5GTOPMYF9lNKUwcc7zGyA"]Train To Hunt Challenge Presented by Kryptek "Hunters 3D Course" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL15lZj9po8&list=UUf5GTOPMYF9lNKUwcc7zGyA"]Train To Hunt Challlenge 2014 Presented by Kryptek - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I will find out the end of the month of I drew a WY tag.

Comment

Just noticed it was post # 2000 for one of my favorite thread on the web.

Don't forget AZ apps are due on Tuesday. The system crashed the last day last year.

Comment

Got my AZ app filled out.

Comment

Talked to Colorado fish and game Friday about putting in for the drawing for a bull tag. He was really helpful and told me unit 24 is where I want to be.. Anyone else hunted that unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Steady_Hand View Post
                    Talked to Colorado fish and game Friday about putting in for the drawing for a bull tag. He was really helpful and told me unit 24 is where I want to be.. Anyone else hunted that unit?
                    Have hunted real close to there, plenty of elk in there so you should have a good hunt.

Comment

Anyone have the Kuiu Attack pants or the First Lite Kanab pants and hunt the thick oak brush? Wondering how either would hold up in that tangled thick stuff.

I've been using some cheap synthetic pants for several years and looking to upgrade.

Comment

Yelp love my kuiu attack pants. I hunt sw co. Scrub oaks haven't tore them up in three years
                        I also have a brown pair I use as casual dress

Think the first lite are wool.

If you don't mind solids kuhl makes good light weight 4 way stretch pants also they are a little cheaper
                        Last edited by Texans42; 02-12-2014, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                          Yelp love my kuiu attack pants. I hunt sw co. Scrub oaks haven't tore them up in three years
                          I also have a brown pair I use as casual dress

Think the first lite are wool.

If you don't mind solids kuhl makes good light weight 4 way stretch pants also they are a little cheaper
                          Thanks. Yep the First Lite Kanab's are merino wool...was wondering how it would hold up brush busting.

That's good to know about the Attack pants....we will be busting some serious oak brush in CO in Sept.

Comment

You won't be disappointed in the Attack pants, I have a bunch of kuiu stuff, and the attack pants are probably my favorite thing in the entire line.

I highly suggest getting a pair of gaitors also. If CO has another freak wet sept they are worth their weight in gold. Kuiu and mountain hardware's pinnicale xt are great options. MH runs big though. If size tells you lg get medium.

Comment

Texans42, Mind giving us a little recap on your KUIU stuff??? Good, bad and ugly?

Comment

I have attack pants and I like them allot. One thing the Attack pants do is "pile up"(I think that's the term for it). Don't know if it's from snags or what but the threads will roll up. Don't think it hurts the integrity but both me and my buddy have noticed it.

I slightly prefer Sitka Mountain Pants over KUIU Attack but either are very nice.

I added a pair of Sitka Ascent this off season.(Cabela's had my size on sale for $99 a couple weeks ago). I had 2 pair several years ago but they did not have the gusseted crotch....these do. Course now I have to add another Sitka top to go with them....I can't have those Elk seeing me in mismatched Camo

Comment

Working...
                                X