No announcement yet.

Tipping at the feed store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s a good question. I buy corn, protein, cattle feed my the bulk at the co-op in Baird tx so it’s always on a pallet so they just use a forklift to load it. Then we unload at the ranch with a forklift. So yes I give them a little something every time.

Comment

I am at the 3 different feed stores weekly and I have never seen anyone tip. The people at my feed stores are there to buy feed for their livestock. Maybe the city folk filling feeders do all the tipping.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
        I am at the 3 different feed stores weekly and I have never seen anyone tip. The people at my feed stores are there to buy feed for their livestock. Maybe the city folk filling feeders do all the tipping.
        /\ winner, winner chicken dinner.

Comment

I worked at a feed store when I was a kid and people didn’t tip. Most people buying the feed needed the $5 more than I did though.

Based on these tipping threads, I suppose some people tip in every interaction they have with other humans. If you’ll tip for take out, why not at the McDonald’s drive thru? If you’ll tip at the feed store, why not at Lowe’s? I’m sure they’d appreciate it too and it wouldn’t hurt you. I bet the cart wrangler at Walmart would love an extra buck or two for gathering up the carts that customers can’t be bothered to walk back up the the store.

I have a broad idea of what these types of employees are paid by their employer. If they provide me a service that I think is above and beyond that level of pay, I give them extra.

Comment

I never have but I usually load half of the feed myself, I guess if I pulled in and bought 40-50 bags that had to be stacked on a trailer I would think about it.

Comment

I usually dont tip but I have on a few occasions. I do always offer them some water or a gatoraide or whatever is in the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                I started tipping because it appeared Mr. Brown was having a hard time keeping guys working there. And they bust their rear all day loading feed. That's their only job - load feed as fast as they can all day. No AC.

I don't think this thread is, in any way, saying everyone should tip BTW.

And to reply to post #34.. Because the Lowes guy is in the store most of the day. IMO they help take something out just to get out of the store and take a break. The cart wrangler is just doing their job and moving carts is one of them. It's not for just you, it's for everyone. That would be like trying to tip the bathroom cleaner.
                Last edited by RiverRat1; 08-06-2020, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Never crossed my mind. I was at Subway yesterday and the credit card reader gave the option to tip.

Comment

Never have. I will always help them load my feed/corn when they bring it out, just to make things go a little faster. Never even crossed my mind to tip them.....

Comment

Yes! They are always thankful for it.

Comment

i guess i do it because i worked at a grocery/beer store through middle school and high school where we always carried out groceries or beer and always appreciated the crumpled up dollar or 2 i would get a few times day.

Comment

generally you've got tippers and non-tippers, and occasionally some angry guy that resents the suggestion.
                          are any of these tipping threads any different?

Comment

I used to hate when customers “helped” me load. Never had any issues with ranchers or farmers, they knew. The feed store owner would chew your azz if he seen a customer help. When a customer starts throwing feed bags he becomes a liability for the store, especially the ones that would get on the dock.

Comment

Never have I, but I normally help to speed it up. Are we supposed to tip everyone who works while earning an hourly wage or salary? It has never really crossed my mind. I have to buy feed tomorrow...now I'm going to wonder if they expect a tip.

Comment

I buy feed at 2 different stores. Different areas as it is 2 places. Both owners have told me I don't have to tip. Not expected. Both said though, Thanks for helping the boys out. It is appreciated. I usually don't help load so we keep count easier. Will help if needed ,but would still tip. To a person everyone that I tipped ,has said you don't have to do that. I said I know,but I appreciate the work. After a few times though, the guys remember you & get you done & out quick if you want.

Comment

Working...
                                X