BTHP, SP or FMJ for when SHTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTHP, SP or FMJ for when SHTF?

I realize ammo is in short supply and this was a conversation I should have asked 6-8 months ago.... but timing was never my strength.

I have an AR 5.56/223 and use Spire point (SP) for hunting. For a worst case scenario I realize ANY ammo is better than NO ammo. But what would be your preference? Shooting 62gr, but it’s a 1:7 twist so I can reasonably shoot 55 gr to 70+ gr ammo.

In for responses.

Comment

The bigger the hole & the most damage. Gut shoot'em! LOL!

Comment

FMJ is easiest & cheapest to stock up on, especially in 556. Not many humans will survive thru 1 or 2 556 FMJ's in their core. If price or difficulty in locating isn't an issue, the Speer Gold Dot is a top choice by the FBI as a fantastic blind-barrier round. Pretty much the same thing as Federal Fusion.
        Great for going thru windshields, windows & plywood & still being able to have a decent effect on creating carnage on your actual target behind those barriers.

Comment

I shot only 69-77gr loads through my 1-7, but I also don’t buy FMJ. These days I pretty much run 75 BTHPs only through all my 223/556 rifle. They work very well. I’ve got some 55-65 gr SP stuff that has done well in the past, but it’s more of a SHTF ammo for me as I prefer the heavy stuff when I have the chance.

Comment

I run Barnes 68gr through mine, for virtually everything.

Comment

Majority of humans have very little fight left in them after a round of anything into the core body mass.

Comment

All of the above will work.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  Majority of humans have very little fight left in them after a round of anything into the core body mass.
                  Centerfire rifle I’ll agree. Pistol not so much.

Comment

My disregard for FMJ doesn’t have as much to do with stopping 2 legged critters. It makes a crappy hunting round, fairly inaccurate (I want .75 or better for anything I shoot), and pass through is far too much of a concern. Hornady 75 Gr BTHP shoot very well from my rifles, they’ve proven themselves more than effective on hogs, coyotes, and deer, and pass through isn’t as much of an issue. I’d like to grab some of the 62 Gr FBIT3 stuff for STHF, but I’d rather have a round that I like hunting with and don’t mind for self defense. I think the FBIT3 would kill just fine. Not so sure it’ll meet my accuracy requirements though.

Comment

For 2 legged critters I’d go 75gr BTHP... The 62gr federal fusions are also a pretty mean little bullet

Like others have said.. I don’t think anyone will have much fight left in them after any bullet goes through their chest at 3000 FPS

Comment

Cheap and plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Being that I didn't sign on to the Geneva Convention, I'm using hollow points

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thoughts on those little plastic ended ballistic tips for prairie dogs? I’ve used them on coyotes a few times and it nearly split one in half the long way.

Comment

I stopped buying FMJ cause it sits there can’t hunt with it so what’s the point. On a 223 the 68-77 HPBT or the 64gr SP seems to be pretty good. Something better than nothing. If Ammo dried up rather have something I can use. Your not going to be doing target shooting then so FMJ is pointless. But in my opinion so is the 223/556

Comment

Working...
                              X