Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread lost me at teachers are not valuable now days

Comment

I would have rather seen you pay the $15 vs the said insulting $1 tip...my first gig was waiting tables in a small bbq dive that was getting off the ground. Folks would stand in line & order their own food, take their drinks & I was the one man show to bring meals / filler ups, etc & got a tip for about 1/2 the customers which was fine under the circumstances / pay.

One day during a crisis of sorts in the kitchen the food just wasn't flowing / tables turning & it taught me my first lesson just like I'm now all too used to that the outside sales / waiter / point man is always the punching bag regardless...it was a small place in an open air / screened porch & the regulars could see what was happening know it was out of the norm and this one arse had to make a statement and tossed a quarter leaving as I was cleaning the table which hit me, the table & the floor. He and his buddy climbed into a truck backed into the front w/ mexico lic plates laughing. I calmly walked to the exit as they were loading up & took the biggest handful of change I could from my apron & fast balled it likely not doing paint & glass any favors. They started to get out but the applause from the crowd & me clearing the railing looking for a go-round had them scooting down the road. One of my first lessons of not letting folks steal your joy out of your control...I made up plenty for what I tossed that afternoon & the kitchen crew apologized. Never happened again.

Originally posted by JHT View Post
      Whatever. You should have heard her sob story bro. My mothers real chatty. Asked Kim about herself. None of us had ever met. Single mother going to school to get her teaching cert. Wants to teach English. She got a live one with my mother who has a PHD in English & taught her entire career finishing up at UoH.

A fifteen minute cut turned into an hour and a half complete BS session about teaching this and that, blah blah teacher stories. Mother is still connected to UoH, can I help you? Kim was working her over like a rib.

Sat down beside her and talked more teacher garbage when the cut was finished. Nauseating. They even exchanged numbers incase Kim had anymore questions about teaching. I had enough. Wrap it up ladies, lets go.

Kim says $15 is all I can charge because she is such a lovely woman. I said fine with you sucker.

All I have is $300 on me and I don't feel like going to the bank to break it up so just take it. Beat it. She started crying a little too. Should have been a drama major.

A lil far off from the tip jars everywhere rant but the message is still the same. Play the game when you go out. If you have never relied on gratuity as a source of income you really can't fathom what a few quarters/bucks here and there from anyone adds up.

I hate cheapskates.

Last edited by Artos; 08-02-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

funny this thread came up - last night wife was away on a trip so I drive about ten miles to the little town of Weir Texas to get a hamburger - never been there before.

It is a basic convenience store with a small kitchen in the back - order a burger and sit and watch these two young ladies bust their butts preparing and serving folks coming up to the counter. Got my burger and ate it - while doing so I watched these two hustling to serve while probably bringing down $10 an hour?? So when I left I walked to the counter and handed the girl $40 and then gave her another $40 to give the other lady. She started crying and I just said God Bless you and walked off - slept like a baby last night and felt awesome all day long today - silent acts of kindness go a long way on both ends

Comment

I always tip waiters really good, I left a extra nice tip today at Saltgrass in Greatwood just because of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
            Where is this at? Need some details.
            Victoria area. That’s the rate with helper for a one off small job. Big jobs I bid. I needed a Propane gas line leak fixed at my house. I tried a brand new plumber service, kid had spun off from another business. He quoted me $110 an hour but said he’d have someone there within the day. I agreed. 2 hours later his journeyman / helper was there and fixed it within 30 minutes. Haven’t seen the bill yet (supposed to be prorated) but I’ll include something extra for the one that came and did the digging and fixed it. I’d bid a big plumbing job also.

Comment

Did we ever get a plan how teachers are supposed to fight and why they are cowards?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                Did we ever get a plan how teachers are supposed to fight and why they are cowards?
                No.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Just dont tip them and move on.

Comment

I have always tipped well, when I tipped. More so now that I am retired and have more money at my disposal. It is always nice leaving surprising tips for people that do not expect them and I do make it a point of when paying by card to leave the tip in cash. The surcharge the CC companies charge and the wait for the money bites. Cash is king for tips.
                    Automatic tipping for non service workers. Nope. Gotta earn that

Comment

Working...
                    X