No announcement yet.

Livestock Show Season 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now we're cranking! Love love love these posts. Keep sharing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
      Yes he did!
      My boys name is Clark Daniel III
      His lot number is 93 and he’s in the market Turkey division with Bowie Austin FFA.

My wife is a Bowie booster club officer and will be there, too.
      Thanks man, let us know if this is all the info you need.
      He's on my list.
      Pure brain fart on my end, Clark. I just made the mental connection of us knowing each other. My memory is maxed to about 5 years, without help. It's been waayyy longer than that since we worked on skulls.

Please shoot me a text so I have your cell. 512-203-5869

Comment

That is awesome! I have a lot of fond memories raising chickens, rabbits, goats and a heifer and showing them at county fairs. It was a great time being in the 4-H and learning how to be responsible for our show animals.

Comment

My two are showing lambs again this year for the Huffman FFA Show. These are draw animals and fine wool crosses to top that. So when we go to jackpot shows its tough unless they show by breeds.

The last one we went to that did separate by breeds they did fantastic.

Daughter got 1st in class and Son got 2nd in the same class.

My daughter ended up getting Grand Champion for the AOB that day!!

Our Huffman show is next week, can't wait to see how they do there!
          Attached Files

Comment

We have baby bunnies in the barn right now. Show the first weekend in march

Comment

My favorite time of the year. It gets a little hectic for 2 months but we love it. Daughter has a class 4-5 exotic for Ft Worth, Black cross for San Antonio or Austin, and Hereford for Houston. As well as a cross bred gilt going to San Antonio.

Hopefully our luck continues. Two years ago we won an Aoc class in San Antonio. Last year we classed out of Hereford in Ft Worth and Houston but stuck him in the sale in Red crosses in Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                We're about to kick it off, Boys!! Keep those updates coming.

Nathan has a red exotic that will show class 12 in Ft Worth. Millie's simi is for SA. County show is third week of Jan. We're ready!

Last weekend we did the Cougar Classic in New Braunfels. My proudest was showmanship. There were 35 seniors. Nathan was grand senior showman and Millie took reserve. The hours and hours and hours pays off. Nathan has won the showmanship buckle in his last three shows.

Nathan pulled a hat trick, winning the grand banner. Millie was second in a tough class. Awesome day.

Good luck! It's a shame all the good looking hair has to come off the simmental.

I am ready to get animals back in the barn. Another lamb for sure and maybe a goat or pig to go with it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  Good luck! It's a shame all the good looking hair has to come off the simmental.
                  I dang near cry when I have to slick-shear one. After washing and blowing 2x a day every day its just painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                    My favorite time of the year. It gets a little hectic for 2 months but we love it. Daughter has a class 4-5 exotic for Ft Worth, Black cross for San Antonio or Austin, and Hereford for Houston. As well as a cross bred gilt going to San Antonio.

Hopefully our luck continues. Two years ago we won an Aoc class in San Antonio. Last year we classed out of Hereford in Ft Worth and Houston but stuck him in the sale in Red crosses in Houston.
                    You know what the heck you're doing!

That red one is class 12 FW. That joker has a roller coaster week ahead. We check in county this evening as light as I can possibly get him. Show Thursday, sale Saturday, leave for FW Sunday. He'll swing 100 pounds in those 6 days.
                    Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 01-24-2023, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Got home yesterday from my daughter showing her market goat at Ft Worth.

Heartbreaker of a show for us. Daughter worked her tail off and got 3rd place in class 3, plus top TGBA goat in her class of 62 animals. We were top of the world happy! Until they could not find the ear tattoo in her wethers ear, and disqualified her. Took her ribbon, her custom mug, and her TBGA check out of her hand, that had already been given to her. We were there by ourselves, no idea what to do. The lady from the state told us they had sent out emails to all the ag teachers and county agents the week before, that they were going to be checking tattoos and disqualifying for it. Said the teachers/agents were warned. We never knew about any of that. If I had known, no way we would have rolled in there with a tattoo that had faded out. I would have checked and fixed it.

I know they have to make examples out of folks so the rules will be followed. If we had weighed out, tested for substances, used prohibited materials, any thing like that, that we knew better on and tried to skate the edge it would be one thing. But it sure hurts to go out on a technicality that we weren't aware of.

Broke my girls heart. She is a freshman and 100%, all in on showing. It is literally all she does, it is her life. Does it all herself. No fitters, she will accept very little help even from us unless she has to, because she wants to own it herself one way or the other. All around us were animals being taken care of by breeders and paid fitters. She held her own against them and succeeded. I told her nothing can take that away from her.

To add insult to injury they un-validated her goat as well. It is supposed to be going to San Antonio in 3 weeks. Now we have to re-tattoo (no big deal) and then send in paperwork to state to get her goat re-validated so she can show in SA.

All I can say is, CHECK YOUR EAR TATTOOS! Or any other things like ear tags or whatever. Don't go out on an administrative detail. It really sucks.

We aren't down though, and never out. It just puts more fire in her belly. That little wether is getting better every day, and coming on strong. They cancelled school here today because of snow, 6" on the ground. She was up at 6:30 anyways, getting ready to go across the street to the barn to start working. No rest day, right back to work, and even more determined.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post

Heartbreaker of a show for us. Daughter worked her tail off and got 3rd place in class 3, plus top TGBA goat in her class of 62 animals. We were top of the world happy! Until they could not find the ear tattoo in her wethers ear, and disqualified her. Took her ribbon, her custom mug, and her TBGA check out of her hand, that had already been given to her. We were there by ourselves, no idea what to do. The lady from the state told us they had sent out emails to all the ag teachers and county agents the week before, that they were going to be checking tattoos and disqualifying for it. Said the teachers/agents were warned. We never knew about any of that. If I had known, no way we would have rolled in there with a tattoo that had faded out. I would have checked and fixed it.

I know they have to make examples out of folks so the rules will be followed. If we had weighed out, tested for substances, used prohibited materials, any thing like that, that we knew better on and tried to skate the edge it would be one thing. But it sure hurts to go out on a technicality that we weren't aware of.

Broke my girls heart. She is a freshman and 100%, all in on showing. It is literally all she does, it is her life. Does it all herself. No fitters, she will accept very little help even from us unless she has to, because she wants to own it herself one way or the other. All around us were animals being taken care of by breeders and paid fitters. She held her own against them and succeeded. I told her nothing can take that away from her.

To add insult to injury they un-validated her goat as well. It is supposed to be going to San Antonio in 3 weeks. Now we have to re-tattoo (no big deal) and then send in paperwork to state to get her goat re-validated so she can show in SA.

All I can say is, CHECK YOUR EAR TATTOOS! Or any other things like ear tags or whatever. Don't go out on an administrative detail. It really sucks.

We aren't down though, and never out. It just puts more fire in her belly. That little wether is getting better every day, and coming on strong. They cancelled school here today because of snow, 6" on the ground. She was up at 6:30 anyways, getting ready to go across the street to the barn to start working. No rest day, right back to work, and even more determined.
                        They did the same in the heifer show but only checked the top 2. One of the girls that keeps her Angus in my barn got checked. Luckily I was there to make sure they found it. She has a tattoo in both ears but they could not see the one in the left ear. Almost refused to check the other ear until I showed them the registration papers where it clearly said it was in both ears. I was sweating bullets and getting mad very quick. Sorry that happened but Kudos to the kiddo for getting back on the horse.

Comment

Our Crew at the Fort Worth Heifer show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks flyinstroke. We are all good, just had to vent a little before moving on.

First picture is my daughter showing for placing after the sift. The boy behind her looking at her goat was the eventual class winner. I love those pictures with the serious competitors eyeing each others animals and sizing up the competition. Then a picture of the early morning pre-daylight walks, after water and feeding. That is my favorite time of day at the stock shows. Watching the barns come alive, when 90% of the people aren't there yet and before the barn is jam packed. If you get there early and take care of business, then you can take a nap while everyone else is scrambling and standing in huge lines for the scales, lol.

Comment

Lola’s won showmanship the last 2 seasons and moves into another class this year. She excited and is putting in the time like never before. She does 99% of it on her own. “Paris” has a few months left before county
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post

We're at county now. Agent has already checked all ears here. About 10 steers will be re-tatooed tonight after the show. Thank GOD we have an agent that's on the ball. They couldn't find them in either of ours.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X