Trophy sized badger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by da_pepper View Post
    The bloodline my European/Russian Daschund is from, the dad was a bad ARSE badger/fox hunter. Guy was a hunter in Russia. Nose was all scarred up from getting in their dens. He was a beast. Of course, his son, who is also 100% Russian Daschund, could jump on top of a countertop. So very agile.
    Those are some huntin son of a guns. I like those little dogs. They're fearless.

My mom has two and one is a killer. She's always got her head stuck under something looking for mice. She's a go getter. Worries me though because she ain't scared of snakes either.

Comment

I have badger holes on my property here in Montana, and have seen one crossing the road. My neighbors warned that they're mean little sob's and if I go to kill one, have a big enough gun/rifle and keep shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        I have badger holes on my property here in Montana, and have seen one crossing the road. My neighbors warned that they're mean little sob's and if I go to kill one, have a big enough gun/rifle and keep shooting.
        I mostly shoot them with a .22mag. Every now and then a .223 or .17HMR. They're not super hard to kill unless you shoot them in the butt as they're running off.

Most of the time you get a head,neck or chest shot. Unless they're running to their hole then just shoot them wherever. They'll either fall down stone dead or stop long enough you can hit them again.

Comment

If you drug him with your car, he might be pretty skinned up. If he doesn’t die from injury or infection you might get a decent hide out of him next year. If he got drug I’m betting you don’t want to try and mount the hide right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
            If you drug him with your car, he might be pretty skinned up. If he doesn’t die from injury or infection you might get a decent hide out of him next year. If he got drug I’m betting you don’t want to try and mount the hide right now.
            I thought about that. I drove back and didn't see any fur or blood on the road but I'm sure he got a little road rash. I figure he'll heal if he does. I don't imagine I'll shoot him very soon. Then again I may see him again later today it's hard to say really. He's a dandy, it'll be hard to pass on him if I see him again.

Comment

If okrattler doesn't mind, this is a badger we caught in a bobcat set. Didn't know it was around. Had it by 1 toe, it dug up everything it could within reach.
              He was not huge but a nice say medium to large male.
              We later caught a huge, 39 lb tom bobcat in the reset trap.

Note the coyote tracks, they checked him out in the trap.

Husband case skinned it out and tube skinned the front legs with feet on it. He did a great job skinning the legs and front feet and removing the foot bones. The tanning turned out great, Moyle did it.

He has another to do when it thaws out. I'll try to remember to measure it when on the stretcher.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                If okrattler doesn't mind, this is a badger we caught in a bobcat set. Didn't know it was around. Had it by 1 toe, it dug up everything it could within reach.
                He was not huge but a nice say medium to large male.
                We later caught a huge, 39 lb tom bobcat in the reset trap.

Note the coyote tracks, they checked him out in the trap.

Husband case skinned it out and tube skinned the front legs with feet on it. He did a great job skinning the legs and front feet and removing the foot bones. The tanning turned out great, Moyle did it.

He has another to do when it thaws out. I'll try to remember to measure it when on the stretcher.
                I don't mind. People can share whatever they'd like.

I've only caught one badger while trapping. That son of a gun was digging like a mad man even while caught.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  Those are some huntin son of a guns. I like those little dogs. They're fearless.

My mom has two and one is a killer. She's always got her head stuck under something looking for mice. She's a go getter. Worries me though because she ain't scared of snakes either.
                  For sure. I got him to be my tracking dog. Had his first recovery at 13 weeks. And he loves fresh blood.

He is a family dog too, so not sure I want him as aggressive as his Russian bloodline, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

Comment

Stinky little bastages. Almost as bad as a skunk. $1100 full body mount with a base!

Comment

I’ve killed several in South Texas. Called one in while hunting coyotes. Snared a few. And killed a few riding around.

Comment

Caught 8 or 10 a year in south Texas using snares. Live oak and karnes county areas. Looked like a bomb went off under the fence. You always knew what you had. Even had a male in the hole with a female one time. He took off when I walked up, like feet away. Craziest thing I’ve seen. Also they hunt sometimes with coyotes as a team. Buddy watch a couple yotes and a badger play in the road in out of a blind. Thought they were fighting at first but after a few minutes it was clear they were playing.

Comment

I have only see two in my life, both in south Texas. The first one, we used to see regularly, his den was about 100 yards from our camp. The second one, I saw while I was hunting one afternoon. That was a huge badger, it was stalking a javelina. I was hoping to get to see it attack the javelina, but the javelina realized something was up and took off. That second badger, dwarfed the one we used to see near camp.

Comment

Working...
                          X