No announcement yet.

Learning a new language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I’ll give the duo lingo a try. Thanks for everyone’s input. I was totally of base with where to start apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What areas are you going to? I've been twice, and as mentioned, English is pretty well spoken there. It is nice to know some Italian to use .... but I would not stress too much about needing to carry on a conversation.

Comment

We’ve been to Italy 4 times. They all pretty much speak English, so you won’t have any trouble communicating.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
          What areas are you going to? I've been twice, and as mentioned, English is pretty well spoken there. It is nice to know some Italian to use .... but I would not stress too much about needing to carry on a conversation.

Starting in Naples, then to Rome/Vatican City, then Amalfi coast, cinc terra(sp), and finish in Tuscany for 6 nights. 4 couples going.

After making this thread a number of people told me the same regarding learning Italian. So my lazy American self said to heck with that [emoji23].

Bucket list trip for my devote Catholic wife!

Comment

QUOTE=Johnny Dangerr;16584041]Italian is a breath away from Spanish. You have time for a lot. This morning I ordered breakfast in Hispanic. I pretend to not know the language and only use it when it's nessacirio...[/QUOTE]

Necesario en hispanic

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              Interesting to hear. I always heard they didn’t appreciate us showing up expecting everyone to speak English and appreciated a sincere attempt to speak Italian.

Then again Texans are a bit more revered around the world than other Americans. [emoji3]

We did 2 weeks this past summer with a tour. The locals have a newfound appreciation for Americans spending their money since the CoVid lockdowns. I think 80% of our daily guides said something to that fact. Even our main tour guide said they the country as a whole is ecstatic that we are visiting again. I’m all for learning a new language for myself, but a cursory knowledge of some basic questions and answers will definitely get you by.

Comment

Richard, I’ll bet you $1000 that you can’t make this trip without drinking wine…lots of it!

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  Starting in Naples, then to Rome/Vatican City, then Amalfi coast, cinc terra(sp), and finish in Tuscany for 6 nights. 4 couples going.

After making this thread a number of people told me the same regarding learning Italian. So my lazy American self said to heck with that [emoji23].

Bucket list trip for my devote Catholic wife!

Perfect trip....I have been to all of these. The only place on that list that I was happy to see, but also happy to move on... was Rome. That place is SO crowded, and Italians drive crazy to begin with....in Rome, they are completely NUTS! LOL

I hope you are going to Positano on the Amalfi Coast, if not....make it happen. If you want a great boat experience in Positano....we used Exclusive Cruises for our family trip. It was a huge highlight. I told the captain to tell me when I could go overboard, as I WAS going overboard. Amazing place to swim!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Richard, I’ll bet you $1000 that you can’t make this trip without drinking wine…lots of it!

That is one bet I can not accept. [emoji485]

Comment

Enjoy your trip, Richard!

Comment

Mary is correct. Visit Positano.

Take pitchers; take lots of pitchers!

Comment

Working...
                        X