Brain Tanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Tanning

Anyone here ever tried brain tanning? With the help of a book and video I made an attempt but didn't get very good results. The hides ended up drying fairly hard/rough and not very malleable. I don't think I used enough brains. I don't know. I'm starting to think that maybe I should forget trying to do things "the old way" and just use commercial chemicals. Any thoughts?

I've been waiting to try this method for the past year now, just haven't got the chance. I'm sure you can get better results from commercial chemicals, but to me that just spoils the fun of it

I figure I'll try the brain method and keep trying until I can get it some semblance of decent results...

Comment

now that is deep right there! Have fun guys....if yall need some extra brains just let me know.

Comment

I've been wanting to try this for some time now, but still haven't done it. You've been to www.BrainTan.com of course right? Loads of info and materials there. I want their book and video before I try.

Comment

At first... I was thinking.......how and why in the hell would you want brains tanned? Then I went to the website.......

Comment

It's an old method. It does work, but takes lots of WORK. To get the hide soft, you need to have your squaw chew it for hours ...

You can get good results from many at home tanning kits available on line. Unless this is a ceremonial piece, I'd use a more conventional tan.

Comment

video

I've seen a video and a book, been to the web site but none of it really compares to someone standing over your shoulder saying, "No, dumbass yer doin it wrong!" I think I'm getting the results I am because I'm not using enough brains but it's hard to be sure. And believe me cfortner, there's plenty of fun (work) involved long before you ever get to the part where you use brains. The wet scraping and dry scraping alone are heaven for people who love blisters and muscle cramps. Especially if you made your own tools (poorly).

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                ..... none of it really compares to someone standing over your shoulder saying, "No, dumbass yer doin it wrong!"
                LOL! Must be my wife you're thinking of... she tells me that all the time!

Comment

Working...
                X