Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you keep your Blackstone from rusting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you keep your Blackstone from rusting?

One of my Cub Scout families gave me a Blackstone for Christmas. We used it once for cooking on a campout, then I stored it in my shop. I didn't "scrub" all the grease off of it, because I figured that would keep it in decent shape. The next time I pulled it out, it was all rusty and I had to clean it off with a wire wheel, then soapy water, then I oiled it with vegetable oil. Now it sat for another month, in my shop, and the dang thing is rusty again.

What's the proper way to take care of these things so you don't have to constantly wire the rust off?

In for the day I get one.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I use SOS pads before each use. I only use quarterly probably. It’s better than your way but I’m sure there’s a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like it has never been seasoned correctly? I was given one that was rusty and cleaned it all up and did the same thing you did. It rusted again. I watched some videos on YouTube that blackstone posted on how re-do one and season it properly. Use a grill brick to clean the rust and then season it with olive oil or flackseed oil, but you have to burn it in good several times and it should turn a black color and sheen over. I now keep my top in the garage but it doesn't rust anymore. Mine kept rusting until I cleaned it and seasoned it correctly.

Comment

I have one...all I've ever done is put peanut oil on it after each use. It's never rusted once and I've had it over a year. I didn't know there was something special to be done or rusting was a big issue.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

using it often will keep it from rusting

Comment

Use it.

Comment

Spray down with oil and wipe off the excess before putting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This ^^^^^ thread has more info than you will ever need on it.

Comment

Did you get it hot with the oil after re seasoning it? If not, you need to. Some people use a light layer of crisco covered in wax paper but to me that is over kill. I hang my top in the garage for protection and also to keep my dog from licking all the oil off!

Comment

OK, so oil and heat to "keep" it.

Is there an easy way to get the rust off of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        OK, so oil and heat to "keep" it.

Is there an easy way to get the rust off of it?

Soak in a lye and vinegar bath, wire wheel, or sand blast it. Then reseason it

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Soak in a lye and vinegar bath, wire wheel, or sand blast it. Then reseason it
                          So what I'm hearing is I need to buy a sandblaster?

Comment

WD 40 and some coarse steel wool.

Comment

After each use while it’s hot, spray with water and scrape all the residue off, repeat until it’s clean. Turn heat off, spray with cooking oil and cover with paper towels. Next use, remove paper towels, heat up and clean it with water again. Apply oil and cook!

Comment

Working...
                              X