Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 6.8 eventually be cheap ammo?

Since US Army is moving over?

Sig Sauer Inc., Newington, New Hampshire, was awarded a $4,500,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for the manufacture and delivery of the XM5 Next Generation Squad Weapon Rifle, the XM250 NGSW Automatic Rifle and the 6.8 Common Cartridge Family of Ammunition, as well as accessories, spares and contractor support. Bids were solicited via the internet with two received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of April 18, 2032. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Newark, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-22-D-0008). (Awarded April 19, 2022)

Probably take 15 years but yeah probably will be at some point.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope.

I finally got a SPC Wilson Combat with a Hyperion K can and it’s a blast to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

One thing to remember is this isn't the 6.8 SPC it is a 6.8x51.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
          One thing to remember is this isn't the 6.8 SPC it is a 6.8x51.
          Nope, I totally missed that.

Comment

The civilian round will be the .277 Fury

Comment

Yeah. It's the .277 Fury. I don't see that ever being cheap considering the cartridge itself. This seems like a pretty dumb endeavor. I think it would be a great as a machine gun and DMR round. Seems dumb to replace the M4/5.56 with this.

Who is Sig sleeping with?

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                Yeah. It's the .277 Fury. I don't see that ever being cheap considering the cartridge itself. This seems like a pretty dumb endeavor. I think it would be a great as a machine gun and DMR round. Seems dumb to replace the M4/5.56 with this.

The military has been doing dumb stuff concerning weapons since George Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post

This announcement comes with the usual nauseating, self-serving hype when we all know and understand that any new product, when mass-produced, will develop issues...

From this article

After sixty-plus years, our existing M4 rifle (5.56×45) actually runs as well as any military weapon ever has, and many of us rely on our M4s every day, in the domestic environment.

Yet for military use, the 5.56×45 NATO round (223 Rem) has shown itself to be consistently inadequate in range and penetration, ever since its adoption in the 1960s. Since that time, many different bullet weights and configurations have been introduced in an effort to address range and penetration issues, but none have adequately solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This round will not transition well to the civilian market. At 80,000 PSI it's going to burn up barrels fast, which is fine for the military, because they look upon everything as expendable. I've yet to see Sig answer a single question about barrel life, and there's a reason. Secondly, as a composite case, manufacture will be more expensive than all brass cases. This will always be a niche cartridge.

Comment

I think the civilian version will just be the 277 fury, 50k psi

Comment

The only way I see it becoming a popular civi round would be if other nato countries adopt it & crazy production is pumped out.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          The only way I see it becoming a popular civi round would be if other nato countries adopt it & crazy production is pumped out.

Exactly!!! And then they will have to offer 80k pressurized rounds to the public. Having two different round pressures will make it much harder for it to be popular. Government buying 80k pressured rounds and civilians having to use 50k. That’s why the 556 is so popular, a NATO round is the same for everyone, and anyone can buy it, and manufacturers aren’t having to decide which type of round to make.

Comment

I do wonder what the justification was for the 6.8 over something like the 6.5CM. Yeah, over pressured round will get you more speed, but also faster at shooting out the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                              Since US Army is moving over?

Sig Sauer Inc., Newington, New Hampshire, was awarded a $4,500,000,000 firm-fixed-price contract for the manufacture and delivery of the XM5 Next Generation Squad Weapon Rifle, the XM250 NGSW Automatic Rifle and the 6.8 Common Cartridge Family of Ammunition, as well as accessories, spares and contractor support. Bids were solicited via the internet with two received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of April 18, 2032. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Newark, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-22-D-0008). (Awarded April 19, 2022)

No. Totally different.

Comment

Working...
                              X