Tractor Implement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Implement Question

Let me start this out with the fact that I have a serious gopher issue in my pastures. So much so that I would say the gopher mounds 100 times worse than what the hogs have been doing.

That said, I'm looking to get an impalement that would help level out certain areas. I have a loader bucket on the front that I can use to start with but I was thinking that a heavy duty 7-8' box blade and or a land plane would help to smooth both gopher and hog areas.

I have no experience with either but I'm leaning towards box blade.

Sandy loam soil and 75hp tractor.

Is this or are these the right tool for the job?

You might want to invest or barrow one of these to help control the numbers. Then I would suggest a box blade.
    Attached Files

Comment

Invite all your friends over with the kids and 22lr's and go to town.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
        You might want to invest or barrow one of these to help control the numbers. Then I would suggest a box blade.
        Can you tell me more about this?

Comment

To be honest for what your wanting to do a big piece of pipe or RR iron and some truck tire behind it will be much faster. Problem with the hog spots is all the grass clumps. A box blade or land plane will just ball the grass clumps. Best thing ive found is a 3pt tiller or disc to turn up the hog spots then drag out smooth.

But without all that you might as well just use the drag. Chain Harrows are handy to. But without somehting to break up the clumps in the hog spots it will never be smooth.

Now the gopher mounds the drag will make quick work of.
          Last edited by dclifton; 04-11-2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
            To be honest for what your wanting to do a big piece of pipe or RR iron and some truck tire behind it will be much faster. Problem with the hog spots is all the grass clumps. A box blade or land plane will just ball the grass clumps. Best thing ive found is a 3pt tiller or disc to turn up the hog spots then drag out smooth.

But without all that you might as well just use the drag.
            I've thought about this as well. I have a buddy that uses and old piece of RR.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
              Can you tell me more about this?
              Its a gopher plow. you buy poison laced maize seeds and put in the hopper. Then checker board your fields every 20-50ft or so and it will kill them. If you get on top of them then you can just make a few passes around the field then just go cut back and forth out around there bad spots for a ways and be pretty effective instead of having to do the whole field.

Armstrong ag which is pictured above makes the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                Its a gopher plow. you buy poison laced maize seeds and put in the hopper. Then checker board your fields every 20-50ft or so and it will kill them. If you get on top of them then you can just make a few passes around the field then just go cut back and forth out around there bad spots for a ways and be pretty effective instead of having to do the whole field.

Armstrong ag which is pictured above makes the best one.
                Good info, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post

These are great for knocking out a gopher population. Then go with a land plane to rework the ground .

Comment

Get some railroad track and drag that.

Comment

Another vote for the disc with a heavy drag mat or tires behind it. If you didn't want everything plowed up, a couple old tractor tires with something heavy on top would probably knock the mounds down just fine. Same thing the border patrol drags their roads with, so it has to be good!

Comment

I’m in sand too and I used a piece of chain link fence with a tree trunk tied to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                          Another vote for the disc with a heavy drag mat or tires behind it. If you didn't want everything plowed up, a couple old tractor tires with something heavy on top would probably knock the mounds down just fine. Same thing the border patrol drags their roads with, so it has to be good!
                          I remember someone posting up something similar with a pic you are referring here in relations to leveling hog damage to the ground.

Comment

I'd choose a land plane over box blade for what you described.

Comment

IF you are going to go with dragging tires like the Border patrol does, find a mom/pop tire dealer. I get my big combine tires that I build water troughs with from a dealer like this. They charge the customer a disposal fee and then they pay to dispose of it. I actually get mine for free since it saves him money. Might be worth a shot if you go that route

Comment

Working...
                              X