I know this is a no brainer, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is a no brainer, but

any kind of exercise is good for you. We have a family friend, a young lady that my wife likes to think of as the daughter we never had, that has convinced my wife and me to join a local gym with her. She is overweight as is my wife and myself, but to a lesser extent. Now I am about 40 years or so removed from any kind of formal exercise, but at 65 with Type II diabetes and high blood pressure I am not going to turn into a gym rat. The gym we joined has an outdoor pool, which was a benefit to me to help with recovering 100% flexibility in my shoulder that has had two surgeries. First day got with a personal trainer who took me around and set up a weight program for me to help with what I am trying to do. I am doing weights on MWF and swimming on TTH with the weekends an option. I used to love to swim but it was almost like I forgot how- didn't realize how bad my stamina was. So I am taking this like eating an elephant- one bite at a time. Going after work and spending about an hour each day. Been doing it for about a week and my fasting blood sugar has never been this consistently low for this many days in a row. Just this is enough of a payback to keep me going. Will take a while but hoping I can drop 20-30 lbs. and be ready for retirement in about 14 months to be able to do and feel like I can do whatever I want. Best part is our company covers the cost of the gym membership. So far this has been a win/win.

You got this! Consistency beats intensity, so just stay with it and don’t give up…even when it sucks. And remember this, the absolute hardest part is putting your **** shoes on and deciding to go. Get past that point and the rest takes care of itself. Good luck, it will totally be worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job!!! Getting started is a big step. As you know, consistency is the tough part. I have been working out consistently for the past 5 years. I broke my back in 2015 and had to learn to walk again. That is what got me started and like you, I liked the results. I found personally I had to get up early in the morning and go or I wouldn't get to it later in the day. Now it is just routine. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Comment

That's awesome! Good luck to you and the Family!

Comment

Bravo brother! Keep it up, all the hard work pays off big time. The hardest part every day is that first step. Don't let that first step beat you. You will be amazed how much healthier and better you feel with every passing day.

Comment

Great to read this Russell KEEP IT UP

Comment

Happy to hear it Russ. Keep up the hard work.

Comment

It's never too late to try and take control of your health. Keep it up and you and your wife can be each others motivators.

Comment

Sounds like the start of an awesome journey.

I hear what you're saying on the swimming too. A few years ago I decided to add swimming laps for cardio variety and I sank like a freakin rock. Growing up I swam like a fish, that's not the case anymore. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                    any kind of exercise is good for you. We have a family friend, a young lady that my wife likes to think of as the daughter we never had, that has convinced my wife and me to join a local gym with her. She is overweight as is my wife and myself, but to a lesser extent. Now I am about 40 years or so removed from any kind of formal exercise, but at 65 with Type II diabetes and high blood pressure I am not going to turn into a gym rat. The gym we joined has an outdoor pool, which was a benefit to me to help with recovering 100% flexibility in my shoulder that has had two surgeries. First day got with a personal trainer who took me around and set up a weight program for me to help with what I am trying to do. I am doing weights on MWF and swimming on TTH with the weekends an option. I used to love to swim but it was almost like I forgot how- didn't realize how bad my stamina was. So I am taking this like eating an elephant- one bite at a time. Going after work and spending about an hour each day. Been doing it for about a week and my fasting blood sugar has never been this consistently low for this many days in a row. Just this is enough of a payback to keep me going. Will take a while but hoping I can drop 20-30 lbs. and be ready for retirement in about 14 months to be able to do and feel like I can do whatever I want. Best part is our company covers the cost of the gym membership. So far this has been a win/win.
                    Good Luck!
                    Get where you can enjoy that much earned retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                      Congratulations and don't be surprised if you turn into a "gym rat". Success is addictive and I'll bet over time you find out your body really misses the days you can't get to the gym. Focus on YOUR journey and being the best you for your family and you'll be amazed at the transformation you've started and how it bleeds over into the other aspects of your life.

Comment

That’s awesome. I laugh at the pool part only because I use to swim like a fish, now I’m kind of scared of the water because I know it wouldn’t be long before I caught a cramp if I jumped in the deep end.

Comment

Excuses are your worst enemy, at least they are for me. I slacked off for a couple years and just started back a month ago. It's great that you have your wife and "daughter" to help motivate each other. Congrats and good luck to all of you.

Comment

That's fantastic! Keep it up. Pre-lockdowns there was this lady who walks her dog along the route I drive to get to my office. She was quite heavy pre lockdowns. Now i see her and I'm amazed at her. I don't think I'd recognize her if it wasn't for her dog. She's lost a bunch of weight. One day at a time.

Comment

That's great and inspiring - it's never too late! In response to a couple of above posts: Having done it for decades I am an evangelist for swimming. When I have friends who are getting into it - especially if they haven't swam laps before or in a long time - I recommend they get a little coaching to work on proper form. Your position in the water is everything - if your hips and legs are dragging underwater you will wear yourself out trying to stay afloat before you can get much benefit.

Comment

Working...
                              X