Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Ok. Retired in Montana. House is close to finished (or close enough). I want to learn to play the guitar.

What should I be thinking for a 1st guitar? Looking at Craigslist I’m afraid I don’t know enough to buy a used one not knowing what I don’t know.

There’s a music store in Bozeman, I’m sure they have beginner guitars/ packages.

Should I be thinking ‘get a less expensive one, see if I can figure it out, and if I do sell it and buy a better one’?

Or find a used better guitar?

My grandson visited this weekend and Papa pulled his old (old) accordion and figured out how to play ‘The wheels on the bus’. 50+ years after lessons. Then I found sheet music of Ripple by Jerry Garcia which I’ve been figuring out. Sounds a lot like a mix of a Dead concert and a polka party.

Save me from the accordion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to beat entry level Yamaha Acoustic guitars..

Comment

There are 1 or 2 good threads on here with good advice. When I thought I wanted to learn I was told to not buy the cheapest guitar I could find because they’re harder to play and will frustrate you faster. Think I bought one for about $300. Second piece of advice I got was to not buy an acoustic guitar at all. Learn how to play on an electric guitar. Much easier.

Comment

Keep playing the squeeze box!

Comment

Big Sky Bill and the Zydeco Wranglers.

Comment

Originally posted by BigOh! View Post
            It's hard to beat entry level Yamaha Acoustic guitars..

This

Comment

Used seagull would be my pick

Comment

Two trains of thought here IMO. 1. Start out with a cheap (sub $200) acoustic and see if you like it to progress further. 2. Buy a better guitar as they typically are easier on the hands and just overall quality. It's hard to want to learn how to play on something that won't stay in tune or the action is way too high. I'd look at either Yamaha, the DX series of Martin or something along those lines.

Comment

If you buy a used one, look for obvious warps in the neck and that the keys are tight ...be sure it can be tuned and stays in tune after you strum it a bit.

Comment

Yes, we need to get you away from the accordion before it turns your hair grey.

I, too, have been toying with the idea of learning to play the guitar now that I’m no longer working. Recently, a TBH member posted a guitar for sale in the Classified section that he referred to it as a “parlor guitar” and, never having heard of it before, I did a little research.

It seems that parlor guitars are great guitars for beginners and children. They’re smaller than a regular guitar making them perfect for small hands or hands that are not yet nimble enough to stretch over a larger fretboard. Their strings are supposed to be a little easier for beginners—those whose fingers are not yet calloused—to play as they’re more pliant, as I recall. Best of all, even a new guitar is relatively inexpensive...easily under $200.

Anyway, you might want to check them out.

Comment

Just me, your mileage may vary, but I’ve been a guitar player a long time so here goes. Don’t buy a new “beginner” guitar, buy a “previously owned” better quality guitar AND spend some bucks getting it “set up” by a decent luthier. That music store in Bozeman will know of one, just ask them who they use. The luthier will dress/replace frets, lower the action, put on a new nut, etc. and your used guitar will sound great and be much easier to play. Much easier to play means you will be strumming “Ripple” a lot and sounding better every day.

By the way, whenever I pick up my guitar ole Jerry’s “Ripple” usually gets played before I put it back in the case. Such a great melody and lyrics …“And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung”.

Last by the way, it is said that “a gentleman is a man who can play the accordion, but who doesn't."

Good luck with your guitar, and post up what you get.

Comment

Agree with the Yamaha. Whatever you get, you can get a set-up guy to work their magic on it. Guitar center had a guy there that did it when we bought one of the yamaha's. Makes a big difference.

Comment

Long time player as well, if you’re serious about it spend a little extra money on a quality guitar, they are just easier to play and hard to beat the sound

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Yes, we need to get you away from the accordion before it turns your hair grey.

I, too, have been toying with the idea of learning to play the guitar now that I’m no longer working. Recently, a TBH member posted a guitar for sale in the Classified section that he referred to it as a “parlor guitar” and, never having heard of it before, I did a little research.

It seems that parlor guitars are great guitars for beginners and children. They’re smaller than a regular guitar making them perfect for small hands or hands that are not yet nimble enough to stretch over a larger fretboard. Their strings are supposed to be a little easier for beginners—those whose fingers are not yet calloused—to play as they’re more pliant, as I recall. Best of all, even a new guitar is relatively inexpensive...easily under $200.

Anyway, you might want to check them out.
                            Bill, permit me to add this post to another future picker:

Lady, I have a suggestion you might consider. Do some research on a good quality ukulele, which are surprisingly affordable. They sound awesome, fit smaller hands and have four “soft” nylon strings. You will be able to do some kinda cool tunes the very day you start playing it. And without the sore fingers a beginning guitar player endures. The picking and strumming and chording “motions” are the same as a guitar requires, so you will be developing muscle memory. Learn to play that uke, and later on a guitar will be much easier for you. Good luck.

Comment

Get a decent guitar that will hold it's value, if you decide it's not for you. YouTube is a great place to start looking for ways and songs to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X