Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ICE melting question?

This is driving me crazy

I both make & bag ice @ home , and buy store ice for the wife .
    Both are stored in same chest freezer @ -8* . Placed in same ice chest
    Yet the store bought melts 2x faster,
    Yesterday I put 4 bags in the ice chest, 2 10lbs of each type , and today the store bought bags are 1/3 water in OEM bags , homemade ice isn’t

Minerals in water? Or what? Shape?
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-25-2022, 05:32 PM.

Yeah probably so if I had to guess. You got the special ingredient ice lol

Comment

Are cubes the same size. Or is one thicker than the other? We have 3 ice makers in our restaurant with different size cubes for different applications. I can see where a smaller or thinner cube would melt faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        Are cubes the same size. Or is one thicker than the other? We have 3 ice makers in our restaurant with different size cubes for different applications. I can see where a smaller or thinner cube would melt faster.
        I hear what you’re saying , 1 is square, store ice is oval,
        I got “ sonic ice “ @ the ranch and it melts extra fast and is awesome for drinks
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-25-2022, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Density is your answer. Store made is done in a quick process, less dense ice results. Home ice takes longer to cycle, ice is more dense and takes longer to melt.

I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, so I'm pretty sure i'm right!

Comment

Starting temperature?? Is one starting at 0° and the other is starting at -15°?

Comment

In the brunt of summer I supplement regular bagged ice with a few 1/2 gallon milk jugs frozen and it seems to keep the temps cooler and the bagged ice last a little longer.

Comment

That's a weird deal. I don't guess I've ever noticed one kind of ice melting faster than another.

On a side note. I need to invest in an ice maker. My buddy got a small one the other day and that son of a gun makes 23 pounds of ice a day. It's a pretty cool little deal.

Comment

more air less water

Comment

Dunno the difference, but Ill go out of my way to by ice at a Brookshire Brothers. Their ice seems to last a lot longer. Not sure why, but it does.

Comment

I think colder the ice the longer it last.

Comment

Different process. Residential ice makers fill a tray and freeze based off a timer. Commercial ice makers run water over a frozen plate and harvest on thickness, usually. That ice is usually "wetter" from the process and tends to melt faster. I've serviced lots of commercial ice makers for reference.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Air/bubbles, even microscopic, or surface area are my guesses.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                            I think colder the ice the longer it last.
                            I agree. If it stays in the 31 or 32 degree range it stays solid for quite a while......

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                              Dunno the difference, but Ill go out of my way to by ice at a Brookshire Brothers. Their ice seems to last a lot longer. Not sure why, but it does.
                              I googled brookshire brothers ice, and it says they use lufkin water and then triple filter with sand , then charcoal, which supposed to make better density and tasting ice?
                              Learn something new every day!

The plant engineer says “”

"When it comes through it has a lot of chlorine in it and all kinds of other impurities that don't make quality ice,"

Comment

Working...
                              X