Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Fallow Experts - these gonna finish “trophy” quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Fallow Experts - these gonna finish “trophy” quality?

Have these two Fallow bucks that hit the protein feeder daily. Showed up together a while back and been residents ever since. Free range so I definitely want to take one once velvet is gone and let one go to breed. Someone told me they are too young, but I keep thinking this is pretty good growth for middle of June. Figure they have a lot of growing to do yet.
    Really doesn’t matter because if one steps out after they go hard horned he will be headed to the taxidermist and sausage stuffer.

Will be a trophy in my books regardless, but curious as to an expert opinion.

Your thoughts on age and how they will finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dark chocolate one looks plenty mature to me. How they will finish out, I have no idea.

Comment

Lighter one probably not. Chocolate one still has a chance. Fallow generally finish growth earlier than our WTs. They will be done growing end of July and coming out of velvet in very early Aug.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
        Lighter one probably not. Chocolate one still has a chance. Fallow generally finish growth earlier than our WTs. They will be done growing end of July and coming out of velvet in very early Aug.
        Very cool! I thought I would have to wait till end of August or early Sept. That makes me excited for and early August hunt.... Hopefully the chocolate will hit the ground and the buckskin will get to spread seed....

Comment

Chocolate had a chance. Our fallow are a few weeks behind this year it seems.

Comment

Comment

They're still young, but it'd be hard for me to pass low fence.

Comment

I think the tan one could surpass the chocolate

Comment

based on body size, they are likely 4 yrs old and on second set of real antlers. neither looks to be off to a great start antler wise to me, so if you are waiting for a nice rack on them, you would probably need to let them get some serious age of 7 or 8 yrs old to get big, even with average genetics.

if i was shooting one for meat, i would take the tan one as the chocolate fallow has a better coloration if you want a wall mount or rug later on and seems to have a slightly better palmation going on.

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                    based on body size, they are likely 4 yrs old and on second set of real antlers. neither looks to be off to a great start antler wise to me, so if you are waiting for a nice rack on them, you would probably need to let them get some serious age of 7 or 8 yrs old to get big, even with average genetics.

if i was shooting one for meat, i would take the tan one as the chocolate fallow has a better coloration if you want a wall mount or rug later on and seems to have a slightly better palmation going on.
                    These are on my low fence lease. If they are still there when they go hard-horned, one is going home with me God willing. Leave the other to breed and whatever happens to him then so be it.

Comment

My favorite exotic to eat!!! Taste like a cross between venison and beef.

Comment

Working...
                      X