No announcement yet.

How was the turkey opener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up getting a Tom opening weekend in Kinney county east of Del Rio but it was super slow. Lack of rain the past year or so has put a hurting on the turkey for sure.

Comment

How was the turkey opener?

We had some birds gobbling coming off of the roost. I got this one at about 07:40 he came in following a group of hens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
        All the gobblers were with the hens, and the Jake’s were right behind them all weekend in Gillespie Co. I did manage to kill a nice gobbler with a 9” beard with my bow though.

Congrats!!

Comment

We had a great weekend in Bandera county. Saw/heard more birds than I ever have after 5 years on the lease. Got to the gate about 9 Saturday morning and had a hoss of a bird killed by 2:30. Really wanted my wife to get him, but he came from the wrong direction and ended up doing a 180 to get him killed before he got away. 3yr old at least, almost a 10” beard, and weighed 22lbs.

Roosted a bird for her that night, and set up on him the next morning. I took an unorthodox approach to the spot by overthinking the situation and changing my mind back to the original plan. I was the first hen to call and immediately had a hen calling back. She flew down first straight to our setup and just sat there calling. The Gobbler flew down about 5 mins later and took about 10 mins to get to us. He wouldn’t come out of strut the first pass and almost got away. He came back the second time after a little expert calling by yours truly and she laid the hammer down with a load of 20ga TSS. Didn’t hit him perfect, but it was good enough. It was a nice 2yr old for her first bird. The coolest thing is that she killed him in her favorite spot on the lease. Right next to a big bluff next to a spring.

We quit hunting after her bird, but we saw 6 more long beards filling feeders and probably heard 6 others.

If I could figure out how to post pics from an iPhone I would share.
          Last edited by Hockley; 04-07-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X