Kansas Deer Permit Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas Deer Permit Application

Buddy and I are about to put in for a deer tag in Kansas to hunt around the Harveyville area this Fall. I get you have to buy the license when you apply but do you pay for the deer permit after you're drawn?

Nope!!
    If you don’t draw, you get your money credited back to your credit card minus processing fees.
    Is Kansas making you buy the license as well now? In the past, I would buy my license later, or if I didn’t draw, I wouldn’t be out on that extra $100.

Comment

New stuff this year but I believe you pay it all upfront and get the tag fee back if you don't draw but not the hunting license. So you can always go up to shoot a quail/squirrel/rabbits and spend more money in their state buying food, fuel and hotel, etc.

I'm waiting on results. Paid $4,000 last year for my lease and didn't get drawn. Own a house there and paid property taxes, utilities, cleaning, maintenance, lawn care, etc.
      Last edited by asu-indian; 03-30-2022, 07:25 PM.

Comment

How much are the tags now? Haven’t hunted Kansas in 12 yrs but my buddy keeps asking when I’m coming up

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          How much are the tags now? Haven’t hunted Kansas in 12 yrs but my buddy keeps asking when I’m coming up
          It’s ~$500 for the lease and tag.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
            New stuff this year but I believe you pay it all upfront and get the tag fee back if you don't draw but not the hunting license. So you can always go up to shoot a quail/squirrel/rabbits and spend more money in their state buying food, fuel and hotel, etc.
            That’s what we figured but wanted to check with guys that do it every year.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowkill View Post
              It’s ~$500 for the lease and tag.
              Lease?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Lease?
                License* not sure where lease came from lol

Comment

KS started requiring the purchase of a license in addition to draw application about 3 years ago.
                  The total is closer to $600(I think around $580)
                  If not drawn, you will be refunded $415.
                  The odds of getting drawn are not going to be good this year if you don't have a point in your pocket.
                  There are around 9000 people with a point this year and they only give out roughly 22,000 NR tags. They have set tag #s for each unit so some units have better odds than others.
                  TV shows are making KS look like there is a Booner behind every tree which is not even close to being true. 2021 is the 1st year that I haven't hunted KS since 2013 and I can tell you that the hunting has gotten progressively worse each yr. In 2020, I hunted for 11 days and saw 7 total deer.
                  I wont be applying this year either.

Comment

Yeah, it’s been about 5 years since I hunted deer up there. It was bad then. I believe it was 2004 when I made my first trip up there. That was back when they still had landowners transfer tags. Shot my buck on the first day out and seen 2 other shooters, one that was pushing 200 inches and I was only hunting on 320 acres. I quit counting deer that day at 30. Not that way today.

Comment

Kansas is still great but getting very expensive. I started hunting up there 2007 quit 2018. Number of hunters got crazy!

Comment

Last time I hunted Kansas, tags were over the counter.....I got 1 buck and 4 doe tags and tagged out and filled my freezer. The land owner was glad to see the deer go, he told me to keep killing them. I told him I bought all the archery tags I was allowed, he almost got mad when I told him I wouldn't break the law, he said "It's my land, my law".

Been looking at going back up, but it would have to be public land now...even though I have in-laws that live and hunt there. Still doing the research to see if I want to spend the time and money.

Who here has hunted the public land areas in Kansas during archery season? What were the crowds like?

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post

Who here has hunted the public land areas in Kansas during archery season? What were the crowds like?
                          Well, it all depends on where you are in the state really. I've hunted plenty of walk in. I know a few spots that are good and you never see anyone else.
                          I know a few spots that are really good and you gotta be early to get in there 1st and still you may not be the only person in there.
                          I was seeing more and more hunters everytime I went. Many from TX, LA MI and WI.
                          I personally know a guy who has bought land there that used to be walk in and has leased another good walk in piece.
                          It is getting harder and harder to hunt up there unless you willing to drop some serious cash.
                          5 year ago, I could hunt there far cheaper than in TX...not so much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post

Bow hunting not a lot of people, Gun season not safe. Last two years I never saw another hunter in the woods and I'm in the woods 7 or 8 days all day sits.

Had to start hunting public land a few years ago (lost my free 300 acres) It's been good for me, last year was slow but 2 years ago I was seeing 10 to 20 deer a day and 5 different 140 classes just couldn't close the deal on a big one.

Tried some new WIHA last year and sat all day and saw nothing. Did find 80a of private last year and only got in it one day and saw some small bucks.

I only hunt Kansas(bow) and not Texas so it's all I got. This year I'll be in the 80a and my best public.

Comment

I moved from Kansas in 2014, but I purchased my Lifetime License. Paid $400 for it then. I have more than paid for it by going back every year and harvesting at least One deer, usually 2.
                              Like it was stated before, the hunting is getting harder every year. The eastern portion of the state, south of Kansas City around the Overland Park/Oletha are is growing so fast.
                              Planning on going back again this year. Easier pill to swallow when I can purchase resident tags..

Comment

Working...
                              X