Rec Tec Pellet grill? Others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec Tec Pellet grill? Others?

I'm still in the market for a pellet smoker and I think I like the Rec Tec. It seems like a quality smoker for the price when compared to others. I have a real hard time spending more than 2k on a smoker.
    I like doing brisket, pork butts/shoulders, ribs, turkey on the smoker. Grilling I like steaks, pork chops, veges etc.
    I have used side box stick burners and over last 10 years I have enjoyed using the UDS. I like the set it and forget it type smoking now and thats pretty close to what the UDS does. I've never had a pellet smoker so I do not have any experience to help in this decision. I am a buy once/cry once on most things and I want to buy a quality pellet smoker that has the quality build to last many, many years.
    I would like to hear any suggestions on other brands. What options should i be looking for in a pellet smoker? Are there any dealers around San Antonio for rec tec? Im ready to buy and start smoking again

The search feature here is your friend.

This topic has pretty much been covered 100’s of times.

Comment

Regardless what brand you decide on, THE most important thing to success, is to keep it clean.

I clean my pit boss after every use, talking about the fire pot, and the ash that gets in the barrel during shutdown.

You will need a shop vac, handheld vac, etc. I bought a Milwaukee, size of a big tackle box acause it has a long hose to reach inside.

Also, clean the bottom of the chamber of grease.

Comment

I can’t help you on the req teq…. Although everyone raves about them. I too did the stick burner thing for many years and with good success.
        Once I switched to a pellet smoker…. The set it and forget it ABSOLUTELY won me over!!
        Unlike you, I’m not the buy once cry once type so I went with the Pit Boss pro series 1150 pellet grill/smoker and really enjoyed it. Once I decided that pellets are the easy almost infallible way to go I kind of sat that one aside and went with Pit Boss again and bought a Brunswick Platinum vertical smoker for all of my rib, brisket, pork butt/shoulder, drunk chicken smoking. I can even process my own deer, make sausage to hang and smoke with the vertical smoker. I got a 15 pound grass fed brisket on right now as a matter of fact
        My burgers, hotdogs for the kids, steaks and chops that need grilling, I use my fire pit with the swing around cooking grate and cook them over a mesquite fire

And Buckshots post before is correct. It is paramount that you clean that pellet smoker correctly and regularly and most brands will give you years of cooking
        Last edited by K. Lane; 03-12-2022, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I've had mine for over a year now. This is the first one I've owned, so I don't have any to compare it to. Temperature setting is great. 200 for slow smoking up to 500, I believe.. Quality is great. Have to clean them after a long slow brisket or it will flame up on you from all the drippings. Easy to use. I would recommend them for what it's worth.

Comment

A lot like a woman, the shiny, expensive ones are not always the best. Also like woman, the bigger ones are not always the best. Get one as big as you can handle and keep it clean!

Comment

Whatever brand you decide on, just make sure it's WiFi capable. We have a Trager and my wife has become the chef using it. Controls heat, probe, time to cook, etc. from her phone. We still use our old charcoal grill for burgers, hot dogs but everything else is pellet cooked.

Comment

Recteq is MUCH nicer than treager and pit boss. I owned a treager for years. It finally wore out. We’ve had a pit boss at work for a good while. I bought a recteq last year. No comparison. Recteq is overall a much higher quality grill. It gets HOT too. And I bought the searing grates. Mine will hit 650 degrees.

Comment

Rec Tec
                  Traeger
                  Pitboss

In that order without spending Pitts and spits money. I’ve also wanted to try this one from all seasons
                  Last edited by kd350; 03-12-2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I bought the Rec Tec 590 in 2020. Been happy with it and no problems. Perfect size for me and my wife and comes with a 4-year warranty. Most of my cooking/smoking is on extreme smoke (180 degrees) or below 300 degrees. My son has the RT-700 and it is the next size up. His has been awesome and it comes with a 6 year warranty. I`ve looked at several other brands at Lowes, Costco`s and Home Depot and none are built as strong and sturdy as the RT is(for the money) IMO. Good luck with your decision.
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flTYMrqQ01M"]RT-590 Assembly | recteq - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dgh8eZB-Ps"]BBQ Buyers Guide to Rec Teq Vs The World - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Pitts and Spitts is in a league of their own. They are expensive. There are some other decent ones- RecTec, Treager etc.

Comment

We have a rectec and it’s excellent. We had a pit boss previously and my in-laws have a traeger. I would pick the rectec again.

Comment

I have campchef it has a side propane searing box that you can grill sear steaks burgers and such I love the versatility of that box I’ll throw a cast iron on it and can cook anything on that side box gets like 900 degrees or something crazy they also offer a side box that has a griddle top. Love the campchef I choose it over the rec tec and would do it again

Comment

Yoder and Smokin Brothers are couple of good ones that aren’t made in China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty big fan of my Recteq 700, even built my outdoor kitchen around it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X