No announcement yet.

HS Sports Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let him handle it.. Seems like he has a good attitude, and head by not just walking out.. Sometimes it’s just not the right situation.. We all know Michael Jordan got cut from his HS team

Comment

Every program and staff are different. I know of a program that had 3 kids that got limited time on the mound. All three ended up going to D1 programs and the kids in front of them only 1 went to a Juco. Every situation is different- That head coach was also on his way out quick after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        He needs to talk to his coach. Do you go watch practices, see what's happening everyday on the field? I'm an ex high school baseball head coach in a 6A district. My son played at a 6A school after I was out of coaching, he got hurt his junior year and missed part of the start to his senior year. Once he was able to play again he had to work his way back. It was frustrating as a parent. I'm good friends with the head coach,(he was actually my assistant), but I had to talk with him about my sons playing time. He told me why he wasn't starting and what he needed to work on. We did what he said and my son earned his spot back. Quit blaming it on politics and daddy ball and go talk to the coach. Take off the blinders and be realistic.
        There ya go.

Coaches
        The coach is with his players everyday.
        The coach will play his best players.
        The coach will give playing time according to a players role

Players
        Be on time.
        Work at your skill sets.
        Know and accept your role.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
          There ya go.

Coaches
          The coach is with his players everyday.
          The coach will play his best players.
          The coach will give playing time according to a players role

Players
          Be on time.
          Work at your skill sets.
          Know and accept your role.
          AMEN!!!

Some don't get it

Like they are gonna play an inferior kid who sucks bc parents paid money. It's comical to me parents think this

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            AMEN!!!

Some don't get it

Like they are gonna play an inferior kid who sucks bc parents paid money. It's comical to me parents think this
            Paid money? This is a HS baseball thread not the select ball thread you troll. Try to keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
              Is the kid that moved to second string younger than your boy? I can tell you as a former coach and now parent of three boys. The coach will play a younger player who has equal skills over an older one who is a senior. The reason being is that the younger kid will be around longer and has the potential to get better. The senior who isn't a starter is likely at is ceiling and wont get much better.
              This is the answer if I was guessing. 2nd string senior likely wouldn't play much if any. If 1st string goes down I'd imagine 2nd and 3rd would battle it out for starting role. If they are close, younger player would likely win. Not great but coach has to look to the future as well as today.

Comment

The coach gets paid to put the best players on the field this year and to get the younger players ready for next year. His job is on the line and him getting younger guys reps is important to him for the next year

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  is the kid they bumped up in front of him an underclassman? if you are at a big school and not the starter your senior year then you can expect the coach to be looking to use that back up role to develop his younger talent. tough situation being at a big school and not having elite talent.

That would be my guess also.

Whatever conversation needs to happen, needs to be between your son and the coach, IMO. Stay out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    That would be my guess also.

Whatever conversation needs to happen, needs to be between your son and the coach, IMO. Stay out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Definitely staying out of it, and I understand that every coach will see kids differently. I was just venting.

Comment

Baseball, more than most sports, has lots of reps to go around. I wouldn't sweat him being 2nd/3rd string, esp in the fall. Rosters change daily during the season, so if he continues to put in the work and keeps his good attitude, then he will likely get plenty of reps this season.

And with baseball, there are lots of ways to contribute. Be able to play several positions. Be a threat on the bases so he can pinch run. Work on bunting so he can be deployed in situations that call for it. Plenty of ways to get reps on a baseball team.

Good luck his senior year!

Comment

Time to work a little harder and stay at it. Most importantly, he needs to keep a positive attitude and support his teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                          Is the kid that moved to second string younger than your boy? I can tell you as a former coach and now parent of three boys. The coach will play a younger player who has equal skills over an older one who is a senior. The reason being is that the younger kid will be around longer and has the potential to get better. The senior who isn't a starter is likely at is ceiling and wont get much better.
                          This is what I was thinking as well. I played Div 1 hockey and the competition to start/play is incredibly high - there are scholarships (free education) on the line and that brings in a tremendous amount of pressure for a young athlete.

I've seen the younger kids with similar skills/talent move ahead of the more senior kids mostly because their window for improvement is longer. It's a tough pill to swallow but from a coaches perspective, it's hard to argue with.

Comment

Trade the 33/30 for a set of golf clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarr View Post
                              Definitely staying out of it, and I understand that every coach will see kids differently. I was just venting.
                              I agree. Your kid needs to talk to the coach. It needs to be geared or presented as how can I help the team. Can he be the first pinch runner off the bench? Maybe a defensive replacement? If maybe he plays second base and the 2 kids are better at second than he needs to ask the coach for a shot at rf where he may be better than the current rf. Spring season is a long ways away and there is time to put in work.

Comment

Talk to the coach and ask why. It’s your right as a parent with an athlete. It’s not complaining or questioning his decision, it’s knowing why. Approach it that way and you should get your answer. This is why my son plays golf, its in his control, not some butt kissing daddy ball dad.

Comment

Working...
                                X