BC Moose Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC Moose Hunt

I was supposed to have gone in 2020 but, with Canada closing the border due to COVID it was postponed to 2021.
    All of last year and this year, I kept shooting my bow at longer distances. I was dialed in to 60 yards with my setup. I took off from work a week early before my hunt to fine tune my gear list. Three days before my trip, I was feeling terrible! Unable to keep anything down and to add to this I was dealing with leg cramps, sweats and uncontrollable shakes. The day before my trip, I was diagnosed with a stomach virus by the Urgent Care facility in Castroville. They knew my situation and they pumped ivies into me to help with the dehydration I was feeling so miserable that I was convinced that it was irresponsible for me to make this hunt. I was cramping and was unable to keep fluids in. The day of my trip, I woke up feeling better but still very dehydrated. I made the trip taking antibiotics and lots of TP.
    I got to the outfitter and was quickly put on a horse for my trek into the timber. My guide was aware of my issues. I told him to push me hard because I didn't think I could do the 10 day hunt feeling the way I did. It took us 6 hours on horseback to get to our hunting spot...stopping along the way to allow me to take care of business. We reached the spot and at last light we spotted two moose, two ridges over...hanging out together. My guide had told me that the rut was running later this year and that calling one in was not an option, since they were still in the summer pattern. We put both moose to bed that night and at the same time put a game plan together for the following morning. The following morning at first light, we crested over the ridge where we spotted the both moose the previous night and put our glass to work. After 3 hours of glassing we spotted both bulls 1000 yards from us. We closed the gap to 500 yards and waited for them to bed down. After 2 hours of feeding they both bedded and we started to once again close the gap to 300 yards. Throughout this whole deal, I was still dealing with diarrhea and cramps... So much so that I decided to borrow my guides rifle and finish the hunt with absolutely no regrets. I knew that I was going to need every ounce of energy to help brake down the moose.
    My guide told me that I was lucky???
    Lucky to find a moose on our first evening and lucky to find him the following day and lucky enough to close the deal. I guess I was lucky... to even make this hunt [emoji6].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Joel; 09-11-2021, 07:33 AM.

I don't know the first thing about moose but it looks like a good one to me. Glad it all worked out. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a dandy Moose. Sucks you were sick & not able to enjoy your adventure to the fullest. Kudos to you for toughing it out & getting it done !

Comment

That’s awesome. Congrats.

Comment

Very cool, congrats

Comment

Awesome, looks like it was a big adventure !

Comment

Congratulations, you had a very tough time, but you fought through it. Glad you were able to get that moose after all you had to go through.

Comment

Nice bull! Congrats!

Comment

Great bull, congrats!

Comment

Awesome bud, congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a great bull! Tell him you'd rather be lucky than good.

Comment

Great bull. Congrats on your success sir. Thanks for showing

Comment

awesome, I'm liking these moose threads on tbh. If I cant find a shiras moose tag I'll head up to BC or canada for one. Thanks for posting, the adventure of hunting up there is what its all about.

Comment

Very nice!!! Big congrats to you.

Comment

Nice one. Congrats.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X