Questions about Ducks Unlimited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Ducks Unlimited

Didn’t want to hijack the thread about toads.

A wealthy land owner had me to do unrelated work on a property that he had previously joined up with Ducks Unlimited on. Long, wide levees were built all around the perimeters with the idea that this would cause the land to hold water year round. I was amazed at the amount of dirt, fuel, machinery and man hours this required. This was no small project in size or cost.

The levees didn’t work as designed. Despite all the rainfall all it did was keep the property moist but not flooded.

So my question is, Did the landowner have to pay for all this levee construction himself? Other than trying to provide duck habitat, was there supposed to be a tax benefit?

It just boggles my mind to see such an expensive project that appeared to be a complete waste.

No idea about DU but my inlaws partnered/sold property USFW (I believe) and they did a bunch of work over 1200 acres with very little/no cost out of pocket for them.

Had to sign some contracts saying they can never construct a home or anything on that section of the property but that was it.

Comment

DU usually does a 50/50 split with landowner. There are tax benefits for landowner. Surprised the project was a fail. Interesting. Have they tried to correct it?

Comment

When I contacted DU I got zero response on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post

Had to sign some contracts saying they can never construct a home or anything on that section of the property but that was it.
          Sounds like they may have put that piece of property into a conservation easment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Du goes to the Federal Government and gets grants for water restoration, land owner has to follow certain guide line. Land owner may have agreed to turn it over to DU and receive large tax brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Sounds like they may have put that piece of property into a conservation easment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              That is exactly what DU does with Landowners.

Comment

OP, any chance that the project is supposed to involve flooding the fields seasonally with well water?

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                  OP, any chance that the project is supposed to involve flooding the fields seasonally with well water?
                  Not that I’m aware of. Don’t know of any wells there on those particular properties.

Comment

Working...
                  X