Scent products or play the wind?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scent products or play the wind?..

When it comes to y’all’s previous experience, what is paramount when bow hunting? I do a lot of hunting from man-made brush blinds or pop-ups. Do I need to worry about covering myself up in scent cover if the wind is in my favor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing the wind is the most important thing! To add sent covering sprays or Ozonics is an added benefit.

Never, say it again, Never go to a stand set up with the wrong wind. It will do nothing but alert the deer that they are being hunted and you won't see anything but the deer leaving in a hurry!

Comment

Vanilla or nothin

Comment

Both. But Id take down wind smelling of perfume than “no scent” upwind

Comment

Play the wind first and then good blind positioning. If you use a pop-up in a specific location often make a full circle of brush or maybe just a half-moon to help break up the pop-up.

Comment

If I am hunting over pea gravel or vaniller kern. I don't worry about anything other than which broadside 10yd shot to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              If I am hunting over pea gravel or vaniller kern. I don't worry about anything other than which broadside 10yd shot to take.
              This x100 ^^^!!!

Comment

Try Scent Guardian from TRHP. Works more effectively than anything I have ever used. They also make several attractants for deer and predators that I have used with great success.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Play the wind….you ain’t fooling their nose

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post

Hahahahahaha....good ol vanilly...

Comment

Wind period. All the scent killer, masking, etc are just a gimmick IMHO. I used to be die hard with my scent control until the day I killed my biggest buck while I reeked of sweat, BO, and diesel exhaust from sitting on the seeder behind the tractor all afternoon. I also only hunt from the ground as well.

Comment

With pigs....wind 100%...I haven't fooled a pigs nose yet.

With deer, I've had pretty good luck spraying down and hunting in a box blind. Definitely much better success with a wind in my face but have gotten away with a suspect wind. Our deer come from all different directions so the box helps and any lessening or covering of my human scent helps because hunting the wind 100% is impossible unless you are just talking the angle to the feeder.

Comment

If you have done a lot of hunting from brush blinds and pop ups, shouldnt you already have this figured out? No white flags, you are doing it right. Lots of snorts and whiteflags, you are doing it wrong.

Comment

Like Smart said pigs you can't fool. My Krivoman blinds are set up to be air tight and eliminate the scent issue. That said in open stands or pop ups the wind first, scent control as a backup.
                            Those who only hunt the perfect wind would never hunt on the places I've hunted in Texas because the deer and pigs come from all directions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The phrase “when the wind is in my favor” is interesting to me. Does the wind where you hunt ever change direction? If you are not concealing your odor then what keeps the deer downwind from smelling you? Are they not able to approach from downwind?

I normally hunt for several hours at a time when I go into the woods. It’s extremely rare that the wind will constantly blow in a single direction during that entire time. IMO what has worked for me is trying to hunt what appears to be the dominant wind, AND doing everything I can to eliminate my scent. The wind will change. If your take care to be as odor free as possible then a changing wind doesn’t have to mean a ruined hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X