Roofing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roofing question

Should there be some type of flashing or anything here to direct the water flow away from the house?just had this roof done today. On my previous roof there was a piece of metal flashing kind of like a wall that directed the water from that valley away from the hardie siding.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Roman AB; 09-22-2021, 06:30 PM.

There should be flashing behind the siding and under the shingles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The new roofer won’t have anything to do with that flashing. It should be installed by the builder when the house is built. If you had it there before the new roof was done it’s still there. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
        The new roofer won’t have anything to do with that flashing. It should be installed by the builder when the house is built. If you had it there before the new roof was done it’s still there. [emoji1303]

There is flashing behind the hardie but the prior roof had a piece of metal that was in that valley coming down that directed the water away from the hardie.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman AB View Post
          There is flashing behind the hardie but the prior roof had a piece of metal that was in that valley coming down that directed the water away from the hardie.

Ok I see what your saying. That valley runs water directly into you siding. Weird. I have never seen anything like that honestly.

Comment

Does this need something like a roof cricket that is usually constructed behind chimneys?

Comment

There should be fun shingles under the Hardie siding.. they get laced into the asphalt shingles... Looks like roofer got lazy and laid it all over the top with a generous amount of sealant

Comment

It just seems to me like I wouldn’t want water shedding to the hardie.

Comment

Technically the structure of the house is protected by the flashing under the siding. I prefer to put to a “caulk lip” flashing on the outside to protect the aesthetics of the siding. I suppose a diverter could be placed in the valley, and if this is an insurance claim it should be repaired to its previous state

Comment

A piece of flashing on top isn’t going to do anything because it wouldn’t be properly lapped. It may catch the majority of water, but it would still go right underneath it and to the hardie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's wrong. The valley and the gutter above are both sending water to the wall. The step flashing behind the siding (hopefully) needs to be visible between the siding and shingles with at least 1" clearance to prevent moisture uptake and siding deterioration. No sealant needed here when done correctly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	siding clearance.png
Views:	1
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	24662445

Comment

It was either framed incorrectly or a terrible design. Valley shouldn’t terminate into a wall. Your shingles aren’t installed correctly in the valley above, the top half of the valley is done correct. The thick bead of caulk at the roof/wall would indicate there was a leak someone has tried to stop.
                        Last edited by Benno; 09-22-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

This :
                          Originally posted by mountaineer View Post
                          it's wrong. The valley and the gutter above are both sending water to the wall. The step flashing behind the siding (hopefully) needs to be visible between the siding and shingles with at least 1" clearance to prevent moisture uptake and siding deterioration. No sealant needed here when done correctly.

[ATTACH]1063676[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                            It's wrong. The valley and the gutter above are both sending water to the wall. The step flashing behind the siding (hopefully) needs to be visible between the siding and shingles with at least 1" clearance to prevent moisture uptake and siding deterioration. No sealant needed here when done correctly.

[ATTACH]1063676[/ATTACH]
                            Thank you

Comment

First off, that’s poor designing by the builder. A valley should not be impeded at all.
                              Personally, I would not be happy how that roof is installed or looks. JMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X