Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes a mower deck belt to get really Hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

several have mentioned realistic possibilities ,, i will add another, the quality of the belt itself can be the issue,,, because there are several grades of belts and all manufacturers and not equal,,, even when you go back to the dealer they often will sell cheaper belts at first quality prices,, everyone wants to maximize profits so they pretty much all do it.... find a kevlar belt and you will see it hold up a lot better,,, most of the kevlar belts i have seen have a reddish color, not black....

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the belt - just ordered a kevlar belt. I have bought belts based on price (cheap) - some were OK some were garbage. The last few I've bought were Stens brand - maybe $10 more than the cheapest & they do seem better, but still not great.

Interestingly, I can spend between $20 to $150 for one of these belts and I just noticed the $150 one was the Stens I've been getting for $35-$40. Yet apparently some people buy it at $150 thinking it has to be the best, when if they shopped that p/n they could find it for $110 less!

Comment

Mine was doing that last year. It was out of alignment and barley touching a metal guide. It got really hot. Replaced the spindles and everything was back to normal. I had a spindle that had tweaked over just a hair and that’s all it took

Comment

Friction.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            Friction.
            Lol!
            Smart azz.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
              Thanks for the tip on the belt - just ordered a kevlar belt. I have bought belts based on price (cheap) - some were OK some were garbage. The last few I've bought were Stens brand - maybe $10 more than the cheapest & they do seem better, but still not great.

Interestingly, I can spend between $20 to $150 for one of these belts and I just noticed the $150 one was the Stens I've been getting for $35-$40. Yet apparently some people buy it at $150 thinking it has to be the best, when if they shopped that p/n they could find it for $110 less!
              The day Stens bought out my favorite small engine parts supplier was a dark day. Gone were the fantastic deals on blades, belts, grease, carburetor parts, tools, and a lot more. For certain parts like seals and bearings you had to buy a pack of multiples. Sometimes it was worth it to have spares on hand. Now I’ll admit that there were times that OEM parts were more desirable. **This was before eBay.**

What was especially cool was they wouldn’t charge me retail prices. I knew even then or maybe suspected that such a business wouldn’t go on forever. Whether they the original owners know it or not, they helped a lot of people. There was another company that provided a thick catalog of all major outdoor products manufacturers. It didn’t require internet connection, an electronic device, or electrical power to read the catalog. No PDF necessary. I could quickly source bearings with illustrated dimensions and part numbers. This allowed for sourcing a heavy duty part that would fit multiple applications on more than one brand.

When Stens bought out my favorite supplier, there were no more savings available and that was the day they lost me as a customer for good. The original company had two Texas locations and one in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaMountain View Post
                The day Stens bought out my favorite small engine parts supplier was a dark day. Gone were the fantastic deals on blades, belts, grease, carburetor parts, tools, and a lot more. For certain parts like seals and bearings you had to buy a pack of multiples. Sometimes it was worth it to have spares on hand. Now I’ll admit that there were times that OEM parts were more desirable. **This was before eBay.**

What was especially cool was they wouldn’t charge me retail prices. I knew even then or maybe suspected that such a business wouldn’t go on forever. Whether they the original owners know it or not, they helped a lot of people. There was another company that provided a thick catalog of all major outdoor products manufacturers. It didn’t require internet connection, an electronic device, or electrical power to read the catalog. No PDF necessary. I could quickly source bearings with illustrated dimensions and part numbers. This allowed for sourcing a heavy duty part that would fit multiple applications on more than one brand.

When Stens bought out my favorite supplier, there were no more savings available and that was the day they lost me as a customer for good. The original company had two Texas locations and one in New York.
                What brand belts are the best? If I am going to fix my deck mower I want the best! And I bet the shop that replaced them used garbage

Comment

I think you wore your deck out. Time to give her some attention. Pump those zerks full of grease, and make sure your pully's and belt fit correctly, and don't dog the mower. If you're mowing thick stuff, mow high and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                    What brand belts are the best? If I am going to fix my deck mower I want the best! And I bet the shop that replaced them used garbage
                    With how product quality has changed, I wouldn’t be the authority on best. On a garden tractor made by Gibson, the main drive belt for the mower deck is driven off a horizontal shaft Briggs engine. It uses what is referred to as a mule. That design requires a stout 5/8 v belt. My John Deere garden tractor has the same design. For similar applications , if a John Deere belt would fit, that’s what I used. No idea on the supplier then or now. Gates is another brand I like. NAPA was more of a convenience option if price was the focus.

There was a Kevlar belt I had good luck with but can’t recall the brand name.

Comment

friction

Comment

I had the same issue. The two belts I got were about 1" too small. The third belt was the proper size and no more issues. I purchased the last belt from the local mower guy, " Black Stone Ridge."

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                          I had the same issue. The two belts I got were about 1" too small. The third belt was the proper size and no more issues. I purchased the last belt from the local mower guy, " Black Stone Ridge."
                          I have a tiller that I burns belts up way more often then It should. The belt is a weird size, and it's cheaper to just get the closest fit at tractor supply, then to order the correct belt from a mower shop, cause it cost like 7 times the price of the belt I can buy local. AND, I rarely use it anymore, because I have a different one, that I make my 16 yr old use when the garden needs tilling

Comment

Working...
                          X