No announcement yet.

Paint for pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used Sherwin-Williams DTM paint on my fence 15 years ago. Just now needing repainting. It is pricey but works well.

Comment

Get ya a combo hvlp gun/compressor and thank me later. I do metal restoration for a living, it changed the game for all the painting and clear coating we do years ago. Even harbor freight has a rig now, we use gracos and Lexi guns.

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
      I am having my pipe fence put in right now and have been doing a lot of research on the painting process.

I will do Ospho to treat the rust. Then clean off and put on rustoleum metal primer (I wanted Sherwin Williams but they are having supply chain issues so it's doubtful I will be able to get it). Finally I will put on 2 coats of Sherwin Williams marine grade industrial paint. I will use a Hvlp sprayer to apply it. The sprayer I am getting from Harbor Freight and I am still undecided on a compressor but I am leaning towards the 26 gallon Kobalt that lowes has for $350.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        Get ya a combo hvlp gun/compressor and thank me later. I do metal restoration for a living, it changed the game for all the painting and clear coating we do years ago. Even harbor freight has a rig now, we use gracos and Lexi guns.
        Thanks for the tip. Harbor Freight has a sale on the 3 stage but to run that Sherwin Williams enamel I think I will need that 5 stage unit they are selling.

Comment

3 stage is fine, you will thin the paint to Run through hvlp, most likely acetone, xylene or mek.

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
          Thanks for the tip. Harbor Freight has a sale on the 3 stage but to run that Sherwin Williams enamel I think I will need that 5 stage unit they are selling.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            3 stage is fine, you will thin the paint to Run through hvlp, most likely acetone, xylene or mek.
            [emoji106] thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
              Be Careful, pipe generally comes with a cheap coating of some kind on it, oil shellac or who knows but something to keep it from rusting on the rack or in transit. If you paint over the coating you may very soon be starting over with even more of a mess to clean off.
              THIS. the jackwagon that built my pipe fence painted it without cleaning off the grease. looked great for maybe a month. A year old now and looks 15. I'm dreading that project. can you apply ospho to flaking paint, or any other chemical way to prep as opposed to having to manually sand it?

Comment

If it was prepped that poorly, try using acetone to scrub off failing paint. Next would be paint stripper and a case of beer.

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                THIS. the jackwagon that built my pipe fence painted it without cleaning off the grease. looked great for maybe a month. A year old now and looks 15. I'm dreading that project. can you apply ospho to flaking paint, or any other chemical way to prep as opposed to having to manually sand it?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                  For Ospho you need to remove the gross scale or any old coating. It needs contact to the base metal. I think you will need to manually remove the scale and old paint...sorry. You don't need to get it bare metal, just know the gross scale off.

Comment

My process is to put the OSPHO in a pump sprayer. Spray the rusty metal and let it set for a day. Then pressure wash with the highest pressure you can get. Let it dry and paint with Rustoleum rusty metal primer.

Comment

I have a friend that just sprayed clear coat on his. I guess you call it having a patina look. It looks pretty good TBH. Much better than painted gates/pipe with rust coming through paint. He said he shoots clear on every 2 years or so.

Comment

POR-15 it’s meant to go on over rust. It’s what we put on trailers and what not in the rust belt. If you get it on your skin, know that it’s more permanent than a tattoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                          POR-15 it’s meant to go on over rust. It’s what we put on trailers and what not in the rust belt. If you get it on your skin, know that it’s more permanent than a tattoo.
                          I went to their website and that stuff is $200 per gallon. [emoji15]

Comment

It also isn’t UV stable and isn’t intended to be out in the sun. You can paint over the por15... but that is an expensive route to go.

Comment

We offer coating the interior of dump trailers with POR15 and the top coat. It holds up very well especially for our customers that work a lot on the coast like Port A etc. It helps protect from scratches that go that go to bare metal and then rust up. If you follow the directions it does what they advertise in my experience. I would think this would be a once and done coating the application posted.
                              Last edited by brushtrooper; 09-07-2021, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                                Rust-oleum and paint it a brown or rust color so don't have to repaint it every couple of years.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                                same here, used the brown and time to do again this winter. mine was rusty with no prep just used old socks dipped in paint.

Comment

Working...
                                X