No announcement yet.

Armed forces suicide..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental Health issues are no joke. I would not guess if occurrences are increasing as there is no real historical baseline. We have always had those among us who self medicate with alcohol and/or drugs. We leave treatment of mental illness mostly to TDCJ. I am not saying that is right or wrong just putting it out there. When mental illness strikes a family it is amazing to observe the mothers in law on both sides defending their respective genome. Truth is 1/4 of us will face a diagnosable disorder. I believe veterans suffering from PTSD deserve treatment.

Be safe out there.

Comment

Fight(kill) for a country to realize that it was for corrupt leaders aka corrupt corporations, ungrateful immoral citizens, all while they(we) are raping the earth. Gotta be hard. I send good vibes to all of those in a dark spot.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
        The approach needs to shift as the old way of breaking someone's will in order to mold them back wont work when they come in broken already.
        It will get worse, since the inception of COVID measures in BCT has/and will have a major effect on Recruits in All Branches.
        Army BCT has changed drastically, "Shark Attack" is gone, Drill Instructors can no longer get within 6 ft of a recruit, in-processing is a complete mess with recruits just setting in barracks for weeks.

Because BCT has become much softer they saw a large decrease in recruit loss across the board and retention was at a high, stress on recruits was much lower. We all know where this will lead, with the lack of stress inoculation very bad things are going to happen.

At JBLM I have heard of several losses that were suicide and two murders

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
          Could be. I think our children aren't ready for failure, as our system has created a society of mediocrity and acceptance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
          The problems and issues haven’t change since the days of the Spartans but each generation gets weaker.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Speedgoat. So I have a question for you: How do I prepare my son who will join one of the branches in 2 years? His generation is definitely softer. We try to make him accountable for every action good or bad.

Comment

I lost my dad to suicide in 78’. So I do know it’s been around for awhile. My question is, have they always kept track of across the military suicides or just recently and with our access to information are we seeing it more? I mean in 78’ you didn’t hear very many people say that my dad had committed suicide. It was always “his dad passed away”. Is it more talked about today? I don’t know if that all makes sense and not presenting as fact, just thinking out loud.

Comment

About 12 per day - heard this is up because of this current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                  I agree 100% and social media doesn’t help them! They see all these “perfect” people on social media and it makes them feel insecure/inadequate…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^ this is a very large part of the problem with society today I agree. get rid of social media because so much of it is fake anyway. heck, sometimes I wish we didn't have cell phones glued to every ones hands either. go back to when life was more simple in my opinion. just my thoughts about the situation

Comment

One of the biggest factors IMO that is never talked about especially for Combat MOS Soldiers and Marines is the transition to civilian life.

You have zero workforce skills, killing people is not a job skill. You basically put your life on hold while those that went to college or learned a trade advanced.

Most civilian employers are not going to take a chance on you regardless of your "leadership" abilities if you don't have the direct experience they are looking for.

Everyone loves a vet until its time to hire one.

Going from a "hero" a warrior with the gravest responsibility, to kill for ones country to flipping burgers or making some *******s coffee at Starbucks is beyond depressing. I got to deliver Pizzas. Try going from a ****ing warrior to "hey this isnt what I ordered ******* go get me some extra pepperoni like I told the girl on the phone".

Guys that are married often have their wives leave and take their kids with them when they find out the guys that didn't enlist now have a degree or have moved up in their jobs and can provide stability.

You are lied to and told that the civilian population holds you upon high and that companies cant wait to hire you. BULL ****!!! Not saying this is everyone but this is most employers.
                    Last edited by Ætheling; 08-30-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                      One of the biggest factors IMO that is never talked about especially for Combat MOS Soldiers and Marines is the transition to civilian life.

You have zero workforce skills, killing people is not a job skill. You basically put your life on hold while those that went to college or learned a trade advanced.

Most civilian employers are not going to take a chance on you regardless of your "leadership" abilities if you don't have the direct experience they are looking for.

Going from a "hero" a warrior with the gravest responsibility, to kill for ones country to flipping burgers or making some *******s coffee at Starbucks is beyond depressing. I got to deliver Pizzas. Try going from a ****ing warrior to "hey this isnt what I ordered ******* go get me some extra pepperoni like I told the girl on the phone".

Guys that are married often have their wives leave and take their kids with them when they find out the guys that didn't enlist now have a degree or have moved up in their jobs and can provide stability.

You are lied to and told that the civilian population holds you upon high and that companies cant wait to hire you. BULL ****!!! Not saying this is everyone but this is most employers.
                      Not sure that this is 100% accurate..... many military jobs give you plenty of workforce skills. Growing up in Wichita Falls with the airfare base I have seen tons of guys who work on aircraft get out and then hire right back on as a contractor doing the same job they did before but for a lot more money. I'm sure what you describe happens in some instances but I don't think its the majority, a lot of military jobs transfer over to the workforce well I think. I also know of many instances where if you are a veteran you are given priority over civilians in hiring if both candidates are qualified for the job. Shoot working for a staffing agency I can tell you that we get WOTC tax credits just like other employers when we hire veterans meaning it can be advantageous for us to hire a veteran over someone else.

Comment

There's also the GI Bill to consider if you need to go get the credentials needed for your desired work field. I thank all veterans for their service and appreciate the sacrifices made for our country, I don't want to seem critical at all in this post. Just my civilian observations.

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
                          Not sure that this is 100% accurate..... many military jobs give you plenty of workforce skills. Growing up in Wichita Falls with the airfare base I have seen tons of guys who work on aircraft get out and then hire right back on as a contractor doing the same job they did before but for a lot more money. I'm sure what you describe happens in some instances but I don't think its the majority, a lot of military jobs transfer over to the workforce well I think. I also know of many instances where if you are a veteran you are given priority over civilians in hiring if both candidates are qualified for the job. Shoot working for a staffing agency I can tell you that we get WOTC tax credits just like other employers when we hire veterans meaning it can be advantageous for us to hire a veteran over someone else.
                          I am specifically talking about Combat MOS Soldiers and Marines just like in my post. They do not get any real world skill like you are talking about. Trigger pullers, about 20 percent of the Army and Marine Corp. The rest of the service is getting skills. Field Artillery, Infantry, and Armor are not real world skills.
                          Last edited by Ætheling; 08-30-2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Man that is tough. I never thought of it that way. It seems you were able to overcome this. Thanks for your service and the protection you provided for me and my family.
                            I truly can not think of anything worse than going to war and how that would and does affect people.

Comment

I know the adjustment is difficult, you go from high adrenalin life and death stuff to really mundane crap in a day. Then you'll look the rest of your life for the kind of trust you had in your buddies in the service. You'll never find it again as a civilian. I went from 10' tall and bullet proof to a security guard in a parking lot. Time is the best healer I guess. I've talked to several vets that struggle and it's usually along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                                The problems and issues haven’t change since the days of the Spartans but each generation gets weaker.
                                Think it is a function of Maslow's (think that is right) Hierarchy of Needs. That farther away we get from having to worry about food and shelter, or basically the more comfortable we get, the softer we get. A few generations of having to worry about those things again and we would move back in the other direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X