Texas public hunting land ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas public hunting land ?

I suppose that hunting public land in Texas is not the spot and stalk experience like you see on YouTube ? How are these lands typical hunted ? By tree stand or pop up blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by bowfishtank401 View Post
    I suppose that hunting public land in Texas is not the spot and stalk experience like you see on YouTube ? How are these lands typical hunted ? By tree stand or pop up blind?

Most walk in public land is in east Texas. This will be mostly tree stand hunting or pop ups, or even just sitting on the ground. If you plan to hunt ETX I recommend a climber stand

Comment

Usually People get P*** if you spot and stalk. Too many in the woods blind hunting.

Comment

Im a public land hunter and yes it would be difficult to spot and stalk during deer season. My advice is get off the main trails get away from the most common areas . I use a tree saddle and have found it much better to move spots or set up in certain area. I like that I’m 25 foot up in the tree while most are land based pop up hunters. Being up gives you a lot more options than just what’s directly on front of you . Works for me hope you found this somewhat helpful

Comment

Craft a natural ground blind off of trails or sit/hang in a stand. I’ve had really good 3-5 yard encounters on the ground using brush

Comment

Public land deer hunting here sure is strange to say the least compared too states out west

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
              Usually People get P*** if you spot and stalk. Too many in the woods blind hunting.

[emoji106]

Comment

Just be aware that some people think that they can stake out an exclusive area on public land. I have been threatened twice by bowhunters on public property near Hagerman NWR.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                  ^this^

Comment

I haven't been threatened but where I public Hunt there is a Hispanic Family that's been hunting there for 20 yrs and has claimed the southern portion of the forest. I've seen most of there stands and feeders ( which its non-baiting here) when I've gone scouting. Other hunters I have talked to have been confronted by them and basically tell them that its public land. I know last season the GW gave out lots of tickets to them like it was candy. Never seen them the rest of the season. Plus I never hunt on the weekends.. to crowded.

Comment

The area you are hunting is going to dictate how you hunt it. Some areas a blind is the best option, but for the most part, a climber or saddle is the way to go. Being higher up generally gives you more visibility and allows you to get away with a little bit more in terms of movement and wind. And while spot and stalk is not much of an option, i do spend alot of time playing the wind and walking super slow through areas i know hold deer, and have had alot of success like that. No matter how you hunt it, scouting and playing the pressure is key.

Comment

Sometimes it can work if you have a windy and/or rainy day but I find that trying to spot and stalk whitetails is pretty hard.

Plus, there are a lot of other guys playing spot and spook, like the first year I hunted and watched a dude with a recurve play target practice with a cactus.

Generally speaking you’re gonna have better luck going with a saddle/lock-on/climber unless you’re hunting west Texas or the panhandle or someplace where you can actually glass.

The biggest issue is that some of these places are so thick that even if you think you could spot and stalk well, you’re gonna bump everything between you and where you think your target deer is if you’re not careful.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                          Just be aware that some people think that they can stake out an exclusive area on public land. I have been threatened twice by bowhunters on public property near Hagerman NWR.
                          Same here except at Caddo Grasslands during turkey. This guy thought he owned the whole creek bottom and then tried block the trail going to there, where I could hear turkeys gobbling. I told him what I thought and kept walking to where intended to go.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            Same here except at Caddo Grasslands during turkey. This guy thought he owned the whole creek bottom and then tried block the trail going to there, where I could hear turkeys gobbling. I told him what I thought and kept walking to where intended to go.
                            Was he there first and you trying to walk past him to birds?

Comment

Spot and stalk is no go here, to few public land acres and too many hunters, sure enough way to get into a fist fight. I've been in 2 confrontations once last year near Texoma and the other years ago at Whitney Both were trying to lay claim to the area and did not like I had got there first, Texoma was all talk but the other almost got physical and ended up having to call the game warden who I knew. Anyone who's used to western public hunting is in for a rude awakening here

Comment

Working...
                              X