Oklahoma bear hunting tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma bear hunting tips

Well we have some bears on our lease and eastern Oklahoma, surprise surprise. I’ve never bear hunting. Anyone want to give me some pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bow Wow dog food or $ equiv.

Comment

Shoot them in the lungs or heart.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Chain a barrel to a tree, cut a 9” square in the side for them to reach in.
          I used Ole Roy dog from Walmart & also mixed in Fruit loops & strawberry jello powder, can also mix in other things like syrup
          Put up a camera & watch

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
            Chain a barrel to a tree, cut a 9” square in the side for them to reach in.
            I used Ole Roy dog from Walmart & also mixed in Fruit loops & strawberry jello powder, can also mix in other things like syrup
            Put up a camera & watch

Good luck

There is advice I was looking for! I appreciate it!

Comment

Stop by the local donut shop and see if they’ll give you the leftovers that they were going to throw in the trash anyway. Also rotten beaver seems to attract them, just put it in a cage and chain it to a tree. Also chain a barrel with the donuts to a tree and top the donuts with molasses

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                Stop by the local donut shop and see if they’ll give you the leftovers that they were going to throw in the trash anyway. Also rotten beaver seems to attract them, just put it in a cage and chain it to a tree. Also chain a barrel with the donuts to a tree and top the donuts with molasses

I appreciate the advice. Do you recommend hunting ridges, flats? I imagine ridges might be good because of swirling winds in the bottoms.

Comment

I remember a long time ago when we lived in Colorado my dad and his buddies would go by the jolly rancher candy factory and buy the stuff they'd clean out the machines. It would be like a 40# block they'd strap to a tree when the sun melted it around the strap the bears would just sit there and lick it. This was back in the 80's when there was a spring season. They'd also hit up Entemann's bakery for all the old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ecfire1967 View Post
                    I appreciate the advice. Do you recommend hunting ridges, flats? I imagine ridges might be good because of swirling winds in the bottoms.

Typically the boars travel on the ridges & sows lower
                    Stay up on the ridges where the wind is more consistent, I’ve hunted both & swirling winds yield nothing but wasted time

Comment

I will tell you this, prepare for them to destroy your feeders if they are high not off the ground. They are giant raccoons.

My BIL put a feeder up in the air between two trees and has a winch to raise it. The biggest bear there goes over to the winch cable and pulls on the cable to get corn out.

Hope you get one.

Comment

Congrats- kill a big one- no tips just GLWK

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                          I will tell you this, prepare for them to destroy your feeders if they are high not off the ground. They are giant raccoons.

My BIL put a feeder up in the air between two trees and has a winch to raise it. The biggest bear there goes over to the winch cable and pulls on the cable to get corn out.

Hope you get one.

I don’t plan on putting up feeders. I’ll hunt deer around natural food sources and funnels. That’s pretty funny that the bear grabbed the cable. They’re smart critters

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                            Typically the boars travel on the ridges & sows lower
                            Stay up on the ridges where the wind is more consistent, I’ve hunted both & swirling winds yield nothing but wasted time

Appreciate the info. Good luck to you this year

Comment

You might try a honey burn.

Comment

Working...
                              X