Small Engine Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Engine Help

I have a 14 HP Kohler engine on an aged rear engine Snapper rider that I would like to rehab. It will start and fire when I give it some starting fluid but immediately dies. I have cleaned the gas tank and put in fresh ethanol free gas. I have replaced the carb twice with carbs from Amazon. I know there is gas in the carb bowl. I checked the spark to see if there is some limit switch that is killing the magneto when it goes from start to run. It is getting spark down to the last gasp. Choke and throttle seem to work as expected. Any ideas?

All I can think of is a stuck float.

Comment

check your fuel filter and/or pump and insure its keeping fuel flowing to the bowl.

Comment

Will it run on full choke? Most likely still a fuel issue they will drive you nutz somtimes..

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have had the bowl off of both carbs. Floats seem to be working. I have run tiny wires through the main jet into the carb throat and that seems to be clear. Seems to be a fuel issue but I'm stumped on where to look next. The float level is not adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            check your fuel filter and/or pump and insure its keeping fuel flowing to the bowl.
            No fuel pump. It's gravity feed. I added enough gas to the tank to make sure there is sufficient level to feed. New fuel filter.

Comment

May try leaving the gas cap off or loose to make sure the gas cap is venting.

Comment

You may try replacing the fuel line as well.

Comment

Filter? Also sounds odd, but check air filter. I've had them die like you are describing. After checking everything else it was the air filter.

Comment

Is there a rubber oring on the intake or paper gasket installed where the carb butts up to intake or the head?

Comment

Float level is not adjustable? I had to buy a new float needle because it would get stuck up. Take the bowl off and move the float up and down, does the needle move with the float? Is it staying stuck up?

Comment

Originally posted by skulleton View Post
                        Is there a rubber oring on the intake or paper gasket installed where the carb butts up to intake or the head?
                        Paper gasket

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
                          Float level is not adjustable? I had to buy a new float needle because it would get stuck up. Take the bowl off and move the float up and down, does the needle move with the float? Is it staying stuck up?
                          The float is a one piece plastic molding. There is nothing I can see to adjust the level.

Comment

Mine was doing this last week. I had a small in line filter that I replaced. Cranked right up.

Comment

Double check the linkages for the carb. I replaced the carb on a snapper with one from Amazon (made in China). After putting the new one on, I discovered that I had bent the linkage. It can be a pain to get the carb off and a new one on, but it is very easy to get the linkage bent or hooked up wrong. Did you take a pick of the old one before removing?

Comment

Working...
                              X