Any electric golf cart experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any electric golf cart experts?

I buddy of mine cam across a nice EZGO RXV last year. It think it is a 2009 model. He brought it to the lease so we could use it to ride around and thermal hunt. He decided he wanted to trick it out but he isn’t really a mechanic. Long story short, I installed a Jakes long travel lift, put 25” tires and wheels in it, converted it from 4 12V batteries to 6 8V and put a 48V-12V converter on it to run lights and such. Along with a digital volt meter.

He said the person he got it from told him it had a “speed kit” on it. I don’t know anything about carts but it will haul butt. It doesn’t seem to have much torque though. Fast forward to the first weekend I took it back up to the lease. His son ran it into a hole and broke an upper control arm. It took 7 months to get a replacement and after I got it repaired we discovered that the charger isn’t a maintainer and the brand new batteries were stone dead. Got them all charged up and finally got to use the thing.

Managed to go about 4 miles and it went dead. This is creeping down a lease road thermal hunting. Charged it back up and it did the same thing last weekend.

What I have noticed is the thing just doesn’t seem to have any torque and I am wondering if the “speed kit” had anything to do with it. A buddy of mine has a lifted cart and can drive it around his neighborhood for a week without having to charge and this thing won’t make it to our gate and back.

Would a 1 time full discharge on brand new batteries kill them? From what I understand, the RXV has an AC motor on it instead of DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long did the batteries sit drained? Did you replenish the water in them if needed?

To get more torque you can change out your controller and or motor to a navitas. It’s not cheap, but you’ll have top speeds around 35mph with enough torque to lift up the front end depending on the setup.

Comment

Golf Cart Forum for Electric Golf cars, Golf Cart Lift Kits and Custom Golf Cart Parts and Accessories. Featuring forums for Club Car, EZGO and Yamaha Golf cars

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        www.buggiesgonewild.com

This is the correct answer.

Comment

To answer your questions yes the batteries are likely toast if they were in a deep discharge state for an extended period.

And yes if it has a speed motor on it and you put 25” tires on it it won’t have any balls.

You need a higher current controller (assuming the stock one is still on it) sling with a torque motor. Upgrade the cables to 2 AWGc and upgrade to a HD solenoid and F/R switch as well.

The Navitas conversion seems to be the best of both worlds but it is pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Golf Cart Kings. Based in Austin and prices far lower than Buggies Gone Wild. Great customer service also!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
              Golf Cart Kings. Based in Austin and prices far lower than Buggies Gone Wild. Great customer service also!
              BGW is a forum, not a store.

Comment

He's shown he has the skills to do the stuff himself. BGW will give him the information to get it done. While I'm sure Golf Cart Kings is a great place for those who can't do this type of stuff the OP seems pretty capable to me.

Comment

A speed kit could only be a cable plugged in to fool the controller it modifies the motor rpm,s
                  It could also be a gear change.
                  Last edited by 14JKURX; 01-24-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    To answer your questions yes the batteries are likely toast if they were in a deep discharge state for an extended period.

And yes if it has a speed motor on it and you put 25” tires on it it won’t have any balls.

You need a higher current controller (assuming the stock one is still on it) sling with a torque motor. Upgrade the cables to 2 AWGc and upgrade to a HD solenoid and F/R switch as well.

The Navitas conversion seems to be the best of both worlds but it is pricey.

I built 2ga battery cables for it when I did the conversion. I’m worried that it may very well be the batteries. They showed about 0.8V when we got back to messing with them. The entire pack shows a little over 52V when fully charged though. I’m hoping we didn’t make an $800 mistake by not knowing the charger didn’t maintain the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My bad, I meant Golf Cart Kings are less expensive than Buggies Unlimited when it comes to parts such as motors and controllers if needed.

Comment

Did you charge the batteries one at a time with a conventional charger? If not do it. The cart charger is not intended to bring a depleted pack up to charge IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                          Did you charge the batteries one at a time with a conventional charger? If not do it. The cart charger is not intended to bring a depleted pack up to charge IIRC.

This right here. Charge them one at a time on 40A for about 2 hours each, Then see what it does. My club cart depleted the batteries over the winter 2 years. Did this and they have been fine ever since. Not sure if a E Z Go has a maintenance switch under the seat but Club carts do. Switch this off every time you are going to leave it sit for a while. This turns the controller off so it will not stay powered up and drain the batteries( this is what happened to mine).

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                            it will not stay powered up and drain the batteries( this is what happened to mine).
                            Golf cart batteries are self-discharging. Just because you flip the cart off doesn't mean you're in the clear.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              Golf cart batteries are self-discharging. Just because you flip the cart off doesn't mean you're in the clear.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=112362

Yep and the other problem is the batteries will build up sulfate on the plates when discharged. Almost impossible to get it off after it’s taken hold.

Lead acid batteries are weird. I have Trojan Ranger 160 batteries in my cart. They will fully charge and show 52’ish volts at rest but it won’t even make it out of my shop before they are down to 36V and the controller cuts off.

I’m in the process of converting mine to Lithium and doing a body off rebuild in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X