Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR15 - take down pin "catch pin" (Gunsmith?) help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR15 - take down pin "catch pin" (Gunsmith?) help!

Team -

I have CAR Rock River Arms lower receiver that I've accidentally broken off the take down pin's, "catch pin" (tiny detent pin, that prevents the take down pin from being removed), in the receiver.

Is this an easy fix, or will it require a gunsmith?

Any recommendations on AR-15 repair gunsmiths?

If your calling the takedown pin the one in the back. Which is by the grip?

Just take your grip off with a 1/2 socket i think it is.. and the spring and pin is held in by the grip. When you take the grip off it will fall out the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by LennyWayne View Post
      Team -

I have CAR Rock River Arms lower receiver that I've accidentally broken off the take down pin's, "catch pin" (tiny detent pin, that prevents the take down pin from being removed), in the receiver.

Easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Team -

Easy and super cheap fix. Thousands of videos on You tube.

Comment

Team -

youtube

Comment

Rear one is easy as others have said, just take off the grip screw, remove the grip and replace. The Front pin is a bit trickier. Use a razor blade between the receiver and the pin to hold the detent in the receiver, and slide the pivot pin out. Let go of the razor and watch the broken detent shoot across the room!

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dclifton has it right. As for taking an AR to a smith, it's kind of pointless as an AR doesn't require any "smithing".

Comment

Yes, use a dull razor to set the detent for the hinge pin.
                Be careful.
                Attached Files

Comment

The rear takedown detent is accessed by removing the buffer tube and end plate by loosening the castle nut, not by removing the grip. The safety selector detent is under the grip. However this seems very unusual that this pin would break, I would assume that the spring has rusted together causing it to not have enough pressure on the detent pin or something else is broken.

Comment

I use a feeler gauge on the front one so I don't get blood on the rifle.
                    If you build AR's, you should have these laying around for when one goes across the room.

I did break one when the pin wouldn't move and I use a brass punch. Shoulda loosened the castle nut.

OP, like mentioned above, look on you tube.

Comment

thanks guys....You Tube "for the win".

Comment

Originally posted by simsknives View Post
                        The rear takedown detent is accessed by removing the buffer tube and end plate by loosening the castle nut, not by removing the grip. The safety selector detent is under the grip. However this seems very unusual that this pin would break, I would assume that the spring has rusted together causing it to not have enough pressure on the detent pin or something else is broken.
                        Your right its been a while since i have built one or pulled it that far down. It is behind the Buffer tube plate.

Comment

Working...
                        X