Southeast Iowa Live..Come along for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on my Iowa deer season.

I have not hunted quite as hard after I tagged my buck on November 9th. With that being said I have done 25 sits since I killed my buck and 57 sits for the season so far. I have seen 36 bucks and 50 doe as of this evening and I have learned so much about Iowa deer movement, activity, and habitat.

Yesterday afternoon I was crossing the North Fabius River with a tree stand on my back, my backpack in one hand and my bow in the other hand. I got my left boot stuck in the mud and while trying to pull my stuck boot out with my left hand my right foot came out of my other boot and I fell backwards into the river.[emoji3] Fortunately I didn't get too wet and the temperature was in the 50s. I figured I didn't have to worry about hypothermia so I decided to go ahead and set the stand and hunt.

I went back down to the river to wash the mud off my hands and arms and thru the clear water I saw this cool arrowhead. Five minutes after I climbed into the stand this nice 8 point walked past and ended up passing me at about 20 yards. Pretty eventful evening hunt. Oh...and how do you like my camo?[emoji38]

This evening I was back in the stand I set yesterday. I didn't fall in the river today and I have on clean (blue) camo.[emoji1]

Today was the last day of the first segment of archery season. Archery opens again on December 23 after the two shotgun seasons. I still have a state wide buck tag, but I was hoping to fill a Davis county doe tag this evening. Everything came together at last light when 4 doe came down the ridge and by my treestand. I was fortunate to take a big Iowa doe. More awesome Iowa venison for the freezer. #camoisoverated #weareblessed #weloveiowa #mikeandtracy

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-06-2019, 09:31 PM. Reason: It

Comment

Enjoyed getting caught up. You made a good shot on the doe. Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
        Enjoyed getting caught up. You made a good shot on the doe. Congratulations!
        Thanks !!! The Slick Trick Grizz Trick 100 on a Carbon Express Maxima Red total 420 grains at about 290 fps is devastating. She ran about 60 yards spraying blood all the way. I found the arrow buried about a foot into the ground.

Comment

When I started this thread back in October I said I wanted to take y'all through my first season in Iowa as a resident deer hunter.

Not all my posts are exciting and about killing big bucks. I have been fortunate to tag a nice mature buck and a big doe. In 57 sits I could have taken shots at 20 yards or less at 10-12 bucks and at least that many does. I have only drawn and released two arrows on the buck and doe mentioned above.

These deer here in our area are a joy to hunt. They have not been pressured and they act that way. I have been very careful not to over hunt any of my stands. I have been skunked on a few sits, but I generally see at least a few deer and many times right under my tree stand.

I went back over to the patch of timber where I killed the doe last night. I had left my safety harness and lineman's climbing belt at my stand last night. I rewalked the bloodtrail. I followed it pretty easily last night with my flashlight but in the daylight it was awesome. I found the remains of an ancient wood tree stand and an old gun blind that I had not seen before. When you find old stands like this it normally means you are in a good spot. I also found two pretty impressive rubs.

I processed my doe this afternoon. She was a pig of a deer with about an inch of fat. I also got to use my electric winch for the first time and it worked great. See pictures of the above mentioned stuff below.

I found a Mossberg Patriot .450 Bushmaster in Kuiu camo today at Skunk River Arms here in Iowa. They are only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I am going to pick it up next weekend so it looks like I will be hunting the 2nd firearms season. I will also be hunting the last 3 weeks of archery that runs December 23- January 10.....Heater Body Suit time [emoji51]

I hope y'all are enjoying my posts about my season even though they aren't always real exciting. I am enjoying taking y'all along.We got another month to go and I got tags !!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 12-07-2019, 08:41 PM. Reason: Hi

Comment

Not sure why all the pics are not upright. They looked correct when I posted them on Tapatalk. Maybe a moderator can fix them.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

I can see that blue camo from here with that background!

Great to see you and Tracy enjoying your selves!
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-07-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Enjoying the heck out of your posts. Keep me coming.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    I can see that blue camo from here with that background!

Great to see you and Tracy enjoying your selves!
                    [emoji1] I really think camo is overated unless you are turkey or elk hunting. All my stands are 15'-17' high and the deer just don't pay any attention to them.

I actually wear full camo most of the time, but I have seen the most deer right under my tree wearing Big Smith bib overalls or blue jeans with a camo jacket and face mask on. I have had several deer look up at me and they appeared to know something was not right, but then they relaxed and went on about their business. I have only been busted a couple of times and that's when a deer slipped in on me and saw me move before I saw the deer.

Thanks!!! We really are loving living up here in the Heartland.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                      Enjoying the heck out of your posts. Keep me coming.

Rwc
                      Will do !!! I am going to do a little gun hunting in the second firearms season and more bow hunting the second part of archery season. It will likely be cold and nasty then, but we will see. The weather has been awesome the last week or so.

Comment

How did I miss this thread? Congrats on the buck Arrowsmith.

Good thread

Comment

Great stuff, Mike. Keep 'em coming!
                          Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

thanks for the thread and congrats on the buck

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Your thread is awesome! The preparation and all of the work that goes into after your arrow has been released is just as exciting as the hunt itself. Thanks for keeping us updated...it's fun to live vicariously through you!

Comment

Working...
                                X